question about domestic sewers

Then its water companies problem.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not necessarily! If the public sewer is blocked, and backing up into the private sewer, then it *is* the water company's problem. If, however, the public sewer is clear, and the blockage is within the private sewer, it's the OP's problem.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You would do well to be slightly less abusive towards those who are trying to help!

It's extremely bad practice to tee a private sewer into a public sewer 'blind' without providing a chamber, but it did happen quite a lot. There must be an inspection chamber *somewhere* close to you on the public sewer, even if not at the junction with your private sewer. You need to find one - preferably upstream - and check that it's running clear. If your not sure of the line of the sewer, ask your water company for a map of public sewers in your vicinity.

Assuming it is, you then need professional help to pump out your blocked private sewer, and then put a camera down it to see what's going on. Expect to pay a few hundred quid.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You would do well to stop being so patronising to those you purport to help!

You never once suggested the there "might" or "ought" to be an inspection chamber in the street. Instead you assumed that I was too stupid to look for one.

Again, you've clearly not read my original post. I said it was an occasional problem that can be cleared with a bit of plunging down the vent pipe. I was curious as to whether I should be able to rod past the vent pipe from my chamber as I don't know what normally happens as the junction of the vent pipe & my sewer. I.e., is it a straight "T" joint? Is the some form of water trap?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:03:43 -0000, a particular chimpanzee, "Tim Downie" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

When you say a vent pipe, I presume you're referring to a stack which rises vertically up the side of your house to the eaves or thereabouts, with or without other branches teeing into it above ground? If so, then it shouldn't have a trap in it. If you rod down it, you may not be able to get them past the 'T' or 'y' bend.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Um, no. In my driveway, flush with the ground, is a small grating. This is halfway between the only inspection chamber in my drive and the road. Under it is a 4" (or thereabouts) pipe that descends vertically down to the level of the domestic sewer at that point (about 2 drain rods depth).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 17:39:30 -0000, a particular chimpanzee, "Tim Downie" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Then it sounds like a rainwater gully. This should be connected to the surface water drain (and may or may not be trapped) or, if it's connected to the foul system, should be trapped.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula