Provision of an earth.

Wonder if someone can provide some information purely to satisfy my curiousity? A neighbour is having their house re-wired. The wiring is very old, although the main feed appears to have been replaced at some time. There is no earth point provided by the incoming supply. On contacting the board they were offered a choice - a change to PME at approx 800 quid as it involves running in a new cable from the street, or an earth clamp round the existing SWA feed cable for approx 70. Why would the incoming cable have to be changed for PME?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe as the existing cable is a somewhat "unknown quantity" to them, they have a policy of replacing the feed on changes to PME. Probably a responsibility/maintenance thing too, if the customer remains on TT (as I presume he is), maintaining the earth is the customer's cost/ responsibility.

There may also be an element of "because we can", with the "expensive is better" mindset. I had to pay EDF 250quid for 20 minutes work to move my cut-out along a wall by just shortening the incomer by 1.5m.

Reply to
dom

Perhaps it's time for a movement similar to that for bank charges.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Heh heh - the only earth is a bit of light gauge bare copper wire going to the lead water main.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I may be completely wrong, but I thought the DNO were obligated to provide a suitable supply, and a suitable earth, at no cost to the consumer. When my service fuse was upgraded last year, from 60A to

100A, the DNO (I'm in the EDF area) did it for free. They said they would not have charged even if they had to dig back to the street to upgrade the supply (which they didn't have to do). Apparently, there were no earthing arrangements in place either(!), so they provided PME at no charge.
Reply to
richgearguy

On 18 May 2007 03:10:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk mused:

Nope, no obligation to do anything for nothing. They're not obliged to provide you with an earth of ay variety.

Reply to
Lurch

No longer true. When a *new* supply connection is provided they are obliged to provide an earth unless there's some reason why they can't do so safely.

The obligation is in Regulation 24(4) of the ESQC regulations, which came into force in 2003:

"(4) Unless he can reasonably conclude that it is inappropriate for reasons of safety, a distributor shall, when providing a new connection at low voltage, make available his supply neutral conductor or, if appropriate, the protective conductor of his network for connection to the protective conductor of the consumer's installation."

Andy Wade

neighbour in question is on a pretty tight budget.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the power is on at the moment, couldn't their sparky put a clamp on the SWA and check if it is up to the job?

Reply to
zikkimalambo

On 18 May 2007 06:39:18 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@connectfree.co.uk mused:

What SWA? The supply to your house isn't an SWA, and depending on what the cable is like touching starts no end of problems\explosions.

Reply to
Lurch

It appears to be a form of SWA - you can see the spiral steel wrap round showing through the insulation. Unless it's something else, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not all network has the capability of providing an earth - many overhead lines, cleated wiring, wiring in some coastal areas (the earth is great when the tide comes in, crap when it goes out)

Reply to
Colin Wilson