Powerful low energy domestic lamps 100W+ output

I am fed up with the low energy lamps we have now and we are finding it harder & harder to read with them as we age. Yes, we have "over- the-shoulder" reading lamps but what I want is a new-style lamp that puts out a lot of light.

In Ireland, on sale everywhere are traditional BC fitting legal energy efficient lamps that output the lumen equivalent of an old lamp at well over 100W (140W I think). It's made by Philips and I think it draws 90W . Only barely legal if you look at the ratio of leccy to light but very bright.

I can't find it in UK....... Any ideas?

I will be in Ireland in the Autumn and may buy a mega consignment and ebay them here ( :-) )

BUT, more seriously, has anyone seen them in UK?

Reply to
naffer

You can get halogen lights which are similar to that.

However, I have found that Philips Tornado CFLs are actually *extremely* good. Lots of light and low energy.

Reply to
GB

Halogen capsule inside GLS housing, find them at any supermarket.

100w equivalent CFL is 25w, not hard to find.

NT

Reply to
NT

Those would be the ones that look like a 40W bulb on a bad day then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm using LED replacements for halogen spotlights. They use 6W, and later ones only 3W! They say they are 50W equivalent, but I find them about 50% brighter than the 50W halogens they replaced - i.e. 75W. Look for Cree LEDs on Ebay. I only paid a fiver each.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

The problem was the lie with equivalency that the industry used. You need 23W CFL to match 100W filament lamp (or make it 25W CFL if it has an outer bulb).

I currently use the Feit 23W ones from Costco, which I've found to be very markedly better than anything else in terms of light output, longevity, and the longevity not being impacted by running them very hot in enclosed fittings. (They also do a 13W one.) Oh, and they always honestly claimed to be 100W equivalent, even when Philips and the rest were misleadingly claiming their 18W CFLs were 100W equivalents.

Is this a halogen capsule into a regular pear shaped bulb, C-rated? or something else?

It would help if I knew exactly what you were referring to.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I found some mains voltage 70W halogen in B & Q but they were GLS. Very good though, very bright and they have lasted well. They claim 91W equivalent but actually I would have thought it was more than that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

+1. Quick starting too.
Reply to
Andy Wade

No. Check the lumens on the package, ignore the bogus comparisons

NT

Reply to
NT

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

Actually, they're not bad. I use one in an outside light with PIR, it's

20W and is easily as bright as a 100W.

Brought it back from Spain, it was only a couple of euro and I needed the ES screw. Fast warmup too.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , naffer escribió:

I've seen large spiral CFLs on market stalls (used for illumination) - they're like a standard CFL on steroids. Very bright. But not seen them on sale anywhere, you'd probably have to try an electrical wholesaler.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Like I said, get Philips Tornado. :)

I found them because they are recommended by Anglepoise, by the way.

Reply to
GB

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

I've got mine from online lightbulb sellers.

Reply to
chris French

Asda do a 30W CFL for aboy £3-4. Quite bulky though.

Chris K

Reply to
Chris K