Plug-in timeswitch

Following the failure of an elderly device I am looking for a replacement plug-in timer.

I have a double socket outlet in a kitchen cabinet to which I connect washing machine and dishwasher through separate timers. I have E7, and run both overnight. To do this I need to use the override to energise the supply, load and start the machine, then return the time switch to timed operation.

The old electronic timer had a simple override - it simply changed state, a neon showed what position it was in, and switching subsequently resumed as programmed.

As far as I can tell, modern timers (I have borrowed one from another job) all have an on/off/auto button, but in order to be sure I have left it in the right state I need to peer into the cupboard with a torch to check the tiny LCD.

I can't use a pair of mechanical timers, which would otherwise be adequate for this task, since I couldn't reach the side mounted override on adjacent devices, and the socket is mounted tight to the cabinet side.

Does anybody know of a suitable device?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Not much help, I'm afraid, but that tiny little indicator has caught me out as well. I use my timer in my garage, and at night, the lighting is less than optimal. I will watch this thread with interest.

Reply to
Davey

Just to add, fewer modern machines will survive powering off and remembering what programme they were running. OTOH, many more nowadays have the capability for setting a delayed start time, and managing the delay themselves.

Also, ISTR that my machine used well less than 1 unit of electricity for a wash when I measured it. It would take quite a lot of washes to even pay-back the cost of a timeswitch.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes it's a pain in the neck. The old ones used to have two separate button s for "auto"/"manual" and "on/off". Now they have one button that cycles through "on man"/"on auto"/"off man"/"off auto" and you have to look at the screen to see if auto is set. I guess it saved them a button and reduced the cost.

We have quite a lot of these and usually I set them by watching the LED and then pressing "one more click" - it usually works: If the last click did not change the LED then it's now on auto.

I'd also like to find one that uses the radio link to set itself so yo udon 't have to go round the house resetting them all when the clocks go forward /back.

I will watch this thread with interest (as well).

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

ons for "auto"/"manual" and "on/off". Now they have one button that cycle s through "on man"/"on auto"/"off man"/"off auto" and you have to look at t he screen to see if auto is set. I guess it saved them a button and reduce d the cost.

nd then pressing "one more click" - it usually works: If the last click d id not change the LED then it's now on auto.

on't have to go round the house resetting them all when the clocks go forwa rd/back.

Having said all that, a little googling found this one:

which does seem to do the trick. the override switch toggles on/off but th e program always takes over at the next programmed time.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Well cobolt systems used to make several that were effectively timers on socket panels and these had speech so one could hear what was going on. Not cheap though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have a light switch that does that, but it is wired in, not suitable for a separate unpluggable device. I could not find a plug-in equivalent, unfortunately.

Reply to
Davey

Yes, I was just going to suggest that, as we have one of those.

Button on top to manually switch and an LED to show it is on.

Reply to
Chris French

Maybe add a 2nd socket. Or even a very short extension lead.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks, that looks a possible. I had seen some similar, but rejected them for the top edge display without exploring further.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I bought that one, and so far it seems to fit the bill very well. Thanks!

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon