Plasterboard sealer - magic ingredient?

Is there anything special about plasterborad sealer that makes it better than a thin coat of emulsion or pva for priming taped and jointed p'board? It seems comparatively expensive. Does it have some magic ingredient or is it jusy a way of extracting more dosh from the unwary?

Reply to
James

I wondered about Wickes wooden floor primer for tiles. Three times the price of PVA. Hmmmm.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's supposed to be steam-proof so you can use a steam stripper to take off wallpaper without damaging the plasterboard. PVA certainly wouldn't fit the bill, and it's no good under paint either.

If you're never going to paper the wall (or rather never going to strip paper from the wall), I imagine watered down matt emulsion would work, but I haven't tried it. I always skim plasterboard.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There certainly is something different about it - it smells of PVA certainly, but something else as well in there.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you put anything in PVA it tends to have the opposite effect of adhesion. Adding meths to it turns it into a mold release agent. But you can add paint to it and get something similar. Try squares of different mixtures on a scrap of melamine.if you don't believe me.

Only the PVA will stick firmly.

Of course there must be some additives that don't do that. Caustic soda perhaps?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I'd be nrevous about emulsion - I painted a coat of el-cheapo white emulsion on a skimmed wall to seal it before papering and I've had trouble ever since with the paper lifting at the edges. Other walls done with "proper" sealer have given no problems.

Reply to
Norman Billingham