Pipes behind plasterboard

My 1988 house has the C/H pipes behind the plasterboard. I have a concern that one radiator is not getting hot and have discovered a restricted flow from one of the pipes. (8mm)

If I need a pipe replacing when I have a new boiler how easy is it to have a strip of PB removed and then replaced over one of the drops from the ceiling? Somehow it doesn't seem right just to cover with plaster.

Reply to
John

The simple answer is that in principle it'd straightforward enough to do; from the wording of your query it doesn't sound like you'd be diy'ing it?

Dependinf what needs replacing and exactly where it is, you might get well away with removing and repairing patches, rather than a whole 'strip', ie poking the new pipe through as required.

However, are you sure this is actually necessary? Why do you think the flow in this pipe is 'restricted'? Even if it is, unblocking it is probably the way forward.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , John writes

Check the TRV before engaging in major surgery. I have two *sticky* ones in a 15 year old installation. Top unscrews to reveal a small plunger. One day, I am going to ask in here if any sort of lubrication is likely to help:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I don't have TRVs.

The system is due for a new boiler and whilst I won't be DIYing it - I like to know what should be done or what could be done. I don't want a plumber 'selling me' plastic trunking down the wall..

I have removed the valve (Twin entry and this confirmed a very restricted flow down the return pipe. The radiator is slow to heat up - I tried backflushing with a mains hose pipe attached but couldn't get an improvement. I am thinking a new pipe back to the manifold might be the best solution. (By the way - why have I never seen manifolds in plumbers merchants?)

Reply to
John

cos they are in the stock room?

JimK