Ping N. Thornton

Err, polite question, but is there any special reason why you've apparently chosen to post directly from GG? Unfortunately doing so seems to bugger up the threading coz GG doesn't behave properly with follow-ups.

Reply to
Wanderer

message lis7l7d6ohmm$.16o2u2mkar7w7$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net From: Wanderer ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) Subject: Ping N. Thornton

apparently

bugger up

N. Thornton pongs... Yeah :/ Gurgle seems to be going down the plughole lately. Google gives anominimomity, or in english, anonymity. ISP ng access doesnt. But since its so broke I'll have to move to another service... somewhere.

Have a good xmas!

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In message , Wanderer writes

I thought we established this some time ago

... and no resolution

Reply to
raden

"N. Thornton" wrote | Google gives anominimomity, or in english, anonymity. | ISP ng access doesnt.

Google isn't anonymous. You have to use an email address to sign up, and that email address is used in your postings. Google also logs your IP address and displays it in the message:

I surmise you are an NTL internet user

| But since its so broke I'll have to move to | another service... somewhere.

Clara Mail and News for ten quid a year. Lets you use a proper newsreader, even on AOL.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ah yess, two or three people happened to comment on it, but IIRC, no one actually thought to ask the OP why he'd actually started posting from GG.

In the end it's his choice, but I suspect he'll finish up in several KF's if he decides to carry on posting through GG. Pity, coz he does have some valuable contributions to make to the debate.

Reply to
Wanderer

He'll have to shoot you now...

Reply to
Lobster

I guess that his posting from a different timezone is seen as another 'security' measure...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Lurch" wrote | >Have a good xmas! | I doubt it, I hate christmas.

Awww have a mince pie, it'll cheer you up.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Lobster" wrote | Owain wrote: | > "N. Thornton" wrote | > | Google gives anominimomity, or in english, anonymity. | > I surmise you are an NTL internet user | He'll have to shoot you now...

Hmmm, wonder if F-Secure Internet Security Suite "complete security toolkit" is secure enough to stop speeding bullets from irate usenauts.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You don't always have a lot of choice - NNTP is blocked at work, so if I want to read/post from there (which is rare) I have to use GG. I'm not the only one

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

We need someone with a broadband connection to run an NNTP proxy on port 80...

Reply to
Huge

That figures.

Reply to
IMM

I doubt that NNTP is blocked - more likely they block port 119, and there are ways around that.

Reply to
Rob Morley

"Huge" wrote | Chris Hodges writes: | >You don't always have a lot of choice - NNTP is blocked at work, | We need someone with a broadband connection to run an NNTP proxy | on port 80...

Maybe we shouldn't have been so nasty towards that diy web forum :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well, now that youve exposed my life as a double diy agent, Im afraid... ah well, it was nice knowing you :)

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Or get an account with a news service provider that allows connection on non-standard ports - this one lets you connect on _any_ port and offers block accounts, so if you don't use it often it will last a while:

also allows posting using SSL so your network admin can't easily see what you're doing, although you do need to apply for posting privileges as they're not activated by default.

Reply to
Rob Morley