Path weed prevention

Ditto. Have a look at mine. Not a weed anywhere. Full of mortar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News)

We've got them with bark/slabs on top. Weeds root in the bark but pull straight up intact with no effort, unless they've managed to slip a root under the slabs.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Thanks for all those very helpful replies (many more than in uk.rec.gardening ).

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

If you're going to scrape it out regularly wouldn't it be easier to put down a membrane? It's not very expensive.

Reply to
usenet

Membranes are porous so they don't prevent the water draining away.

Reply to
usenet

Trouble with that is you wouldn't be able to walk on it. More that about 1" of compacted gravel is like walking on a shale beach.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

The type of gravel greatly affects this. Some hardly moves, rounded gravel, like beach gravel will.

Reply to
<me9

well after about 4 weeks of car traffic our 20mm hard edged shingle is packing down nicely. The 2" deep bits are rook solid, but the 6" bits are still a bit mushy.

But cars aren't getting bogged in it any more.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher