OT: Weather Stations

I've set mine to 15 minutes - makes the graphs look nicer - also handy when rapid changes of weather occur.

Set at 15 minutes the data logger will store up to 26 days data before downloading - more than enough for me. At 30 minutes it's double that.

I put my console on the bedside table during night last night because of the forecasted gales. Very reassuring to know that the wind strength was

*not* as strong as it sounded :-)
Reply to
Hugh Jampton

The message from Roger contains these words:

Just to say that at higher wind speeds WW is even more inaccurate.

VP 2 shows 3 peaks in the high wind plot earlier today. 37 mph at 2am and 3 am and 39 mph at 5am. As before WW seemed to have missed the later higher point but while the VP 2 was recording a high of 37 mph WW recorded a high of 60.2 mph. (Unjustified resolution to suggest spurious accuracy). WW reading is more than 60% too high if VP 2 is correct and I know which one my money is on.

Reply to
Roger

Ditto, I use 15 mins. Also generate the graphs just before the hour, otherwise you only get 23 hours off data on the graph and a blank hour at the end.

Mines online at

PS Try uk.sci.weather group if you didn't already know of it.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

I take it that's using auto download ? Or have I misunderstood ?

Much better than mine :-) I *must* get around to setting mine up with just the data I want to display rather than using a provided template.

I mostly lurk there - I am *not* an expert and never will be. Most of them in there know *much* more than me :-)

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

Yes, the graphs for the webpage. Updates every hour (at x:58).

Yeah, I didn't like the default templates. The "current value" value graphics don't bring any value to the show, so I only use the "history" graphs. You're welcome a copy on my templates.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Must congratulate Steven on a brilliant web site. No nonsense, no fancy graphics, and dead easy to find what you're looking for. Who needs more?

Can't say I really care what the weather was like on a certain day but I've often wondered how it might have influenced major historical events

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The message from Steven Briggs contains these words:

I have been busy in another thread but I have added it to my reading list just to see what is what. Unfortunately I added it on at the same time as uk.legal. About 7500 messages came flooding back from the zetnet news server, all but one of them .legal.

Reply to
Roger

Thanks Steven.

I've had a look at the HTML from your site and I think I can copy bits of your templates from there - thanks. Mind you that's assuming I ever find the time to change my basic template :-)

OTOH I might even take out a second mortgage and buy the WeatherlinkIP data logger :-)

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

That's what I aimed for, simple essential info. Makes the coding easier too! The complete antithesis of weather sites created by Ambient Weather.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Just another update.

I must say I am impressed with the reception of my VP 2. Now I have batteries in the console I can take it for a walk. Initially inside the house where the signal strength (which should be in the range 20 - 60) was mostly above 30 and then along the outside of the house the other side to the weather station. I couldn't get a single reading below 23 and I think the %age of good packets remained at 100% for the whole time. I thought radio waves went in straight lines but surely this must be relying on reflections when faced with up to 18 feet of stone wall running almost directly at the transmitter.

I do however have a slight problem in another area.

During set-up I was informed that the connection was on com 4 which seemed a bit odd to me as I had previously understood that USB connections weren't so constrained. However be that as it may downloading is not always successful as the weatherlink software can't find com 4. Is this a known fault or just another manifestation of the fault an upgrade from BT Yahoo inflicted in January on IE and various other applications?

Reply to
Roger

My connection is also on com 4.

Very interesting - I also get this problem occasionally. I don't think the error message says it can't find com 4 - more like it can't find my WS on any com port. I get it so rarely that I haven't bothered too much (a re-boot cures the problem) - thought it was just a problem with my PC. But if others are getting the same thing then it might be worth investigating.

Can't get the problem to happen tonight and can't remember the exact error message. If you get the problem again can you post the exact error message and we'll go from there.

Apart from that I'm glad you're happy with the VP 2.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

The message from Hugh Jampton contains these words:

I think that was me being sloppy with my wording. It has done it again so:

"Weatherlink tried to open a com port that doesn't exist on this system. Please examine your Com Port settings."

Thanks.

Reply to
Roger

Aaaah - that's it I think ! I'll wait until I get the error again just to be sure we've got the same problem and then look into it further. I only get the problem once every few days - hope you're not getting it too often.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

The message from Hugh Jampton contains these words:

Sometimes two or three times a day. It's a nuisance but hardly critical to me. Updating when I switch on would do for me most of the time.

Reply to
Roger

I've not had the error again yet but I've found that others are getting similar problems. Have a look here (3 pages of it) :-

would seem that changing from a USB to serial connection solves the problem. I don't have a serial port so would need a converter. Lots of other suggestions on that forum - see what you think.

It's not causing me a real problem as it only happens rarely but it seems more serious for you.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

The message from Hugh Jampton contains these words:

No serial port here either.

Several times in a day is the worst case scenerio. I can't recall whether the best case is zero or once.

Reply to
Roger

The message from Hugh Jampton contains these words:

As suggested in the link detaching and reconnecting the USB lead fixes the problem for the moment. No need to reboot the computer. (Just one failure yesterday).

But how on earth would using a different USB lead lead to a permanent solution?

Reply to
Roger