[OT] scaffolding & Psuedo slates

I've just recieved a couple of quotes to have my roof/slates replaced. The first quote was for =A39k using concrete tiles, which I didn't really want. So I ask for a SLATE quote which came to =A311.5K but the slates are in ETERNIT THRUTONE ARTIFICIAL SLATES.

Anyone have any thoughts on these are there +/- points ...... They seem OK but wonder what happens reqarding replacements

I also notice that the scaffolding quote for the tiles was =A3350, but on the 'slate' quote scaffolding went up to =A31,400

Is there a good or logical reason for this

The leaseholders prefered roofer is

website looks OK, but maybe there's reasons for not using old slate and the extra scaffolding ... any info thoughts etc....

Reply to
whisky-dave

How big is the roof, and how big are the slates? Last time I looked at roofing the top quality Spanish Forna slate was up at £1.45 for a standard 20 X 10, but that is around 1700 slates for your extra 2500. You can get real Spanish slate of a slightly lower quality for much cheaper than that.

the website looks OK, but maybe there's reasons for not using old

I'm dubious of their descriptions of how to comply with the building regulations, they seem to be advocating old fashion roof space venting, rather than sealed systems using breathable membranes that get rid of the moisture but remove the howling gales that take all your heat away. Have a read of this for some background:

is very impressive stuff, like a Gortex coat for you house.

Reply to
Cod Roe

In days of yore, fake slates were asbestos cement and lasted well (60-70 years) though the colours faded. Nowadays there is a gamut of different fibre used withe the cement. They have all been tested for longevity at the BRE. Whether they will last 60 years is anyone's guess.

BTW At the gable ends and valleys, insist on having slate-and-a-halfs fitted, not half slates. Looks better and is far more secure and weather proof. Also get them all in the one batch, colours can vary. The "thrutone" refers to the colour being all the way through,not painted on after manufacture. Helps with any exposed cut ends and with weathering over the years.

Reply to
harry

I think all plastics tend to whiten over the years, even if filled with slate dust, which is itelf white, believe it or not.

Old slates come in batches with lots of cracked and damaged ones that is why half slates are popular. But they still need two holes for nails, thus they are weak.

They are not even that cheap.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer