OT - New corporate buzz phrase

When something goes wrong, get the top boss to say "Lessons have been learned" - (often used by Social Services departments - but car manufacturers are catching on.)

With so many lessons being learned we may soon have no errors.

Reply to
John

The slightly unfair thing about some of the social services stories, written in hindsight, is that they ignore the point that a more rigorous system could raise many more false positives, which are also potentially very harmful. (Not defending errors, rather challenging the *reporting*).

More on this theme in Ben Goldacre's excellent book.

Reply to
newshound

It's also important to realise that the correct balance is not when no mistakes are made, but when the number is small. That doesn't mean mistakes should be ignored or accepted, but that if you clamp down to the point where there are none, you are almost certainly doing more overall damage than if there are a small number.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Another slightly unfair thing caused by lazy journo's is that they never examine the resources Social Services are given to deal with these problems. SWMBO works (in an admin role) for local social services. Caseload has increased by 70% in 10 years, resources haven't.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Don't you believe it!

Lessons *may* have been learned by the individuals concerned - but they'll soon move to other jobs and be replaced by others who will have to learn them all over again!

Besides which, the expression is usually a euphemism which actually means "we fouled up because we failed to take the blindingly obvious correct course"!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Whenever that phrase is trotted out, I am inclined to think that the management is operating in a 'trial and error' mode - and at the public's expense. It's just a pathetic excuse really.

DJ

Reply to
David J