OT: My lamp post

I've been complaining about the lamp post outside my house since February. It doesn't come on. I've complained to the lamp post dept four times and to two councillors. My next complaint will include the words "I can only conclude that since we are Afro-Caribbeans your refusal to fix our lamp post is due to racial discrimination. I'll be contacting Look North." Let's see if that gets a result.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , Bill Wright writes

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Lamp posts don't "come on" - it is the lamp at the (usually) top of the pole that comes on. Except...

polygonum

You could of course either pull the cover off the bottom and complain of a safety issue (H&S frightens councils) or get a friend with a Landy with a towbar to back into it ever so slightly and bend it, then it becomes another safety issue - it might fall over.

Reply to
Woody

Some are radio controlled now using UNB wireless. Ultra narrow band to save you looking it up...

tony sayer

Please take the ones outside my house. I prefer it to be dark.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Dear Mr Wright Thank you for informing us of your racial disposition. Our contractors had already sent an inspection drone from lamp post repair headquarters down here in the sunny south and assumed you were Black as are many in your part of the World , This often turns out on appeal to be coal dust rubbed off when associating with former miners who haven't washed since their last shift at the Pit before it closed and they found that Pikeys had already nicked the shower pipes before the last shift came up but until proved otherwise we assume you are naturally black and will not mend lampposts in your vicinity. Now you have confirmed that you are actually Black I have pleasure in informing you that your lamp post will never be repaired as having your origins in Darkest Africa means you should be genetically equipped to deal with the night. As for looking North may we suggest looking East in the morning and Looking West in the evening will give you maximum exposure to Sunlight.

Yours, Council Utilities National Task Service.

Reply to
damduck-egg

Is it a "street light" to light the highway, which are probably under the county councils Highway Department or a "footway light" which is probably under the district council or even parish council.

Highways maintained street lights normally have a reference number attached. Footway lights don't and don't think that a "footway light" is one lighting a footpath, they can be lighting the footpath along a highway and any light that strays onto the highway in incidental.

I don't think any of the lighting around here is "street lighting".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bollocks to that. I want bright light outside my house. Anybody that's more interested in seeing the stars than deterring criminals wants their heads looking at.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Is that all you can contribute?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Illuminating the streets simply helps the criminals to see where they're going.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

You will more than likely get told that this lamp does not exist on their plans but may well belong to a different authority who put it there and forgot to tell anyone Near here I have a special pot hole in the road and every time I go over it in a car it is very very rough. I have reported it many times. In the beginning I was told that the new electricity connection which caused the hole in the first place had to stay temporary for at least a year so it could settle. Then they said that as EDF had made the hole EDF had been asked to fix it Spool on a couple of years and all the electricity supply companies floated off their grid to UK Power Networks, a company completely separate to the company who made the hole. Now nobody at the council seems to know who to contact to tell them about it and since all the old council staff had their contracts terminated and had to be re interviewed for new jobs to save money, many of those who knew the history have gone. Also the records were digitized by an outside company and stored by said company. Now of course corporate amnesia has set in and now its got to wait for a 'hot boxing' team to fix it even though I know the history, nobody will take any notice. I am just waiting for an almighty bang when the temporary splodge of tar cuts the cable in the hole and all the lights go out. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

God it must be grim up north.

Reply to
Scott M

Round here many streetlights have been turned off permanently, or in some streets 9 out of 10 of them go off halfway through the night, this is because we're all in it together, or something ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Probably it has failed before it was due to be inspected and there is not crew in the area to do repairs - or call-outs are horrendously expensive. There will be some sort of out-sourced service contract - but service is only done when planned.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Round here we don't have any, and didn't in our old village either. And that is a major plus.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tell them the access flap at the bottom 'seems loose', and could be dangerous if a child starts pulling at it. Worked for me, it was fixed within 24 hrs

Reply to
Mark Carver

Didn't work for he post with loopse flap near my house. They came, said the flap was loose because the concrete post was cracked. Put a large cable tie round the post / flap and a week or two later removed the post. Five months later a new post appeared, (after several complaints to the local councillor). Then it took three weeks to get the leccy connected and the light working again.

brightside s9

Reply to
brightside S9

Wait until all the coal fired powers stations have been shut down. All the lights will go out.

Reply to
Martin

Maybe someone stole the bulb :-)

Owain