OT: Grandfather Clock

So... I am trying to assemble a grandfather clock.

There are two weights to go inside the case. They are different sizes. Someone has conveniently labelled them Left and Right. But... which is the left side of the clock and which is the right side. As the clock has a face, do you use the clocks left-right... or is it the same as other furniture where you consider the left-right as you look at the front.

I have established which of the two weight positions is for the chime and which is for the clock. Does anyone know whether it is usual for the clock mechanism to have the heavier weight or the chiming mechanism? (Intuitively I would guess the clock had the heavier weight, but I don't want to damage it.)

TIA Colin

Reply to
Colin

(Intuitively

Hi Colin,

I don't know, but I would have though the other way round, I would imagine the chiming mechanism would need more 'power' to drive it, and hence the heavier weight than the clock mechanism...?

UPDATE: did a quick google

a look at this:
think points 5 and 6 should answer your question...

In case you have problems accessing the url, amongst other things, it says L and R are as you look at the clock.

Cheers,

ChrisM.

Reply to
ChrisM

> Have a look at this:

> I think points 5 and 6 should answer your question...

Thanks. Isn't the internet wonderful. What did people do before it?

Colin

Reply to
Colin

A good question. Excuse me while I Google for the answer.............

Si

Reply to
Mungo "three sheds" Toadfoot

We were often late ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They got really peeed off, trying to find answers !!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

THREE SHEDS ?????????????

Reply to
raden

In article , raden writes

He's obviously got an interiority complex.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Hats off to Mungo - he's obviously the first person to get sheds to breed in captivity!

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

That was only a temporary state. One has now left for the great garden in the sky (or "the tip", as it is better known) and I will soon be reverting to the usual two when my sexxxxxxxy new Yardmaster turns up.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "one shed" Toadfoot

In message , Peter Twydell writes

That's another door for his kids to leave open

Reply to
raden