OT: Blanket weed in ponds

Horses for courses - I suggest you pop along and take a look.

The shelf would be great for potted plants. Also I imagine the herons love it. :-)

Also there's at least one sort of oxygenator that you simply throw in. It comes in bunches clamped with a metal collar that makes them sink to the bottom, where they take root in the silt. But they're less controllable, being out of easy reach. They're pretty cheap.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Definitely. The spawn the fish dint eat is all tadpoles, and most of those the fish have eaten.

So that's the herons next meal fattening up nicely.

Life's a bitch, and then you die.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They have not worked out how to get to it yet - the side of the pond is walled with a flat top, and there are vertical ali poles about 2' high every 6' along the top of the wall. There is "anti heron" fishing line strung between the poles all the way round that hopefully means they can't easily land on the wall or near it...

I shall go see what they have got...

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm saying something like:

I saw the price, but I really meant how did you find it to use? I've been thinking of one, but just wanted an opinion, and especially any drawbacks. I have a choice to either splash out a few hundred on something decent, or make one from scratch (very simple in application) and overcome any flaws in the Jobo design. Obviously, the Jobo Lift was a big step forward and I've been thinking of ways to implement something similar (but simply) while costing next to FA.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ah, sorry mis-read that question!

I got on ok as it happened. I bought it originally when I was doing a fair bit of slide film photography. Slide processing was getting expensive, and film processing quality seemed to be falling (not uncommon to end up with chemical splashes etc on the stuff done by commercial labs). It seemed that it would be much simpler to do my own reversal films and just mount and keep what was good.

Doing small runs at a time (one or tow films) was quite easy, and one could get very good results. Not too much hassle once you have a method of working planned. If you buy chemistry in larger sizes (which to be fair I rarely did since I did not do big enough batches at a time) it probably works out better price wise than commercial labs (especially these days for E6). It was also handy if you wanted to get creative - say you found yourself stuck with a need to shoot in low light, but only have slowish film with you. The you could just shoot the film, at whatever ASA/ISO you wanted it to be, and then compensate by pushing it however many stops during processing.

The lift was essential I would say - it would be a much less pleasurable process if one needed to remove the tank every time to empty/fill/rinse etc.

I had it a reasonable number of years, and typically went "half digital" (i.e. use a film scanner to capture the negs or slides after). In the end however, I found I was taking less and less film, and doing much of my photography on a Nikon 950 digital (which I bought for web work about

9 years ago). This was only partly satisfactory however - as I still longed for the control of a SLR, but also liked the immediacy and usability of having the digital image. That coupled with the growing realisation that digital SLRs are now at least "good enough", I could not really see the merit of staying with film, and thought I would flog it while it still had value.

I was hoping that flogging jobo and my trad camera kit might get some way to the price of a EOS 40D or similar (alas the first camera sale did not pull in the dosh I had hoped!)

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm saying something like:

I stopped shooting film about ten years ago and got into digital properly a couple of years back. Now that the camera bug has bit again, I've amassed a pile of usable old cameras as part of a collecting mania and I'm sick of the rubbish processing quality from local minilabs (those that are left, anyway). I have to pay nearly three times as much for decent process-only lab work by the time postage is taken into account, so I decided to start doing my own. Years ago, I recall the Jobos costing a bleeding arm and a leg, so was having a look at the used prices. They're still quite sought after, so I decided just to start off with a basic setup using a Paterson Colortherm I bought today. I'll put some cash aside for a Jobo CPP2 or similar if I'm still interested enough in a year's time. Then again, there's the call of the small minilab, but that makes no sense... or does it... hmmm, more kit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Get some duckweed. It covers the surface and stops light getting to the blanketweed.

Anyone know how to get rid of duckweed?

Reply to
Reentrant

Yup, its a good time for it. You can pick up some amazing film camera classics now for peanuts.

Yup, that was my motivation as well.

I originally bought mine second hand from a dealer - paid similar to what I paid for it IIRC (although I did buy it about £70 worth of missing bits and extras after that). SWMBO christened it JOBO the elephant, on the grounds she was convinced it would be a white elephant! However I did get some good use from it.

The new prices of the Jobo kit is quite frightening now - a kit like mine is pushing a grand in some shops.

Probably not a bad plan. One thing to remember with the CPP is they are

*big* compared to the CPE - and even that takes up a reasonable amount of space.

There really ought to be old kit turning up at auction one would have though, with the number that have ceased trading.

Reply to
John Rumm

After it filled our pond for a summer, with me doing nothing about it, it disappeared and has never come back. So perhaps all you need to do is wait?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

On Ilkley Moor bar t'at

Reply to