One for the plumbers?

Hi,

SWMBO will be trying to track down a replacement sealing fibre washer for me tomorrow from a local plumbing emporium. I'm rather stuck for describing the actual one needed and I cannot provide her with the washer as a sample as this would mean leaving the water off....

The washer provides a seal between the connection between a wash basin tap and the 15mm pipe fitting. The roughly 1/2 OD washer fits on a shouldered fitting a union then pulls the tap and fitting together. Probably an O ring would work just as well.

What correct name for this pipe fitting please?

I've just removed several of the taps in the house to repair and/or replace them. The sealing washer on this one was damaged, so I have had to put it back together with a small weepage, at least until the shops reopen on Monday.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

A tap connector.

Picture here:

you have it all apart, stick in some isolation valves by each tap (now required for new installs I think). You can then turn off each tap to work on it.

Brian Reay

Brian Reay wrote on 20/02/2005 :

That's the one.... Thanks Brian

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

IIRC, tap connector?

I'm pretty certain I've seen these washers in the sheds - probably in a packet at an extortionate price.

If you have to use mail order, Screwfix do a fibre washer selection box.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pack of 10 for about 60p from Homebase/B&Q etc etc so not exactly going to break the bank.

Does the OP not live near to such an establishment with weekend opening hours ? Interesting approach of taking all the taps off without first researching what's required to securely put them back in place too! :-)

Reply to
Andy

Or if you order from BES you can get fibre (and other) washers by the gross at reasonable prices, as well as the "Plumbers' Repair kit" boxes of tap washers, ballvalve washers, fibre & rubber washers, and 'O' rings; all at reasonable prices. Well worth it for the convenience of not having to go hunting down some odd washer ... well, not so often having to do so - they don't contain everything.

Reply to
John Stumbles

.... until you do what I do and can't find the box..... :-(

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy used his keyboard to write :

Yes, but if you don't know what the items are actually called....

Twas no but a tiny drip, hardly worth the fuel to drive over to B&Q. Jobs are never planned here, they 'happen' when the time and inclination coincide ;-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I bought a "wall of Dexibins" at an auction for a tenner, which solves that problem very neatly.

Reply to
Huge

Well, you just look round the plumbing section 'till you find what you want. Works for me, as I rarely know a street elbow from an unequal tee. :-)

FWIW, a lick of Fernox sealer on these joints will stop them leaking ever. Dunno if the sheds sell it - but a decent PM will.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Homebase sell Fernox

Reply to
Andy

If you are absolutely stuck in this position (washer destroys itself) then about ten turns of PTFE tape wound into a sort of string in the washer location will usually work. Personally I keep a couple of these washers scattered around all my tool boxes because I can never remember where I keep them.

Reply to
Newshound

I've found an O ring will also work, and since they stretch somewhat need not be a perfect fit. However, only used one as a temporary solution.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Andy" wrote in news:3h0Sd.1476$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net:

B&Q too