Oil-fired boiler query

Yesterday I had my oil-fired boiler serviced (having only moved into the property a year ago, I discovered yesterday that it probably hadn't been serviced for 5 or 6 years!).

Anyhow, since the service there has been a strong smell of oil (whenever the boiler is hot of course). There is no sign of a leak, so can I safely assume that this is as a result of the service and is maybe any leaked oil being burned off?

Perhaps it could also be because the engineer had to replace a worn flexible pipe?

Reply to
Phil

The boiler should not smell although it is possible that a "slight" short lived smell may result from disturbing an oil joint with resultant minor loss.

This is possible but see above. The smell should only exist while the lost oil evaporates and should have gone within 24 hours. Any longer and there was either a more serious loss or there is now a leak somewhere. It would help if you had told us what make and model of boiler you are talking about and what works are listed on the service report sheet. Is there any sign of oil anywhere around the boiler?

Reply to
John