New air vents

We had the cavity wall insulating folks around yesterday, and because we have a couple of open fireplaces, they are obliged to install air vents. When we came to look at them today it transpires that:

1) The pipe they put through is a few mm narrower that the hole drilled. I don't suppose this matters too much as the gap can prolly be filled in with a bit of foam.

2) The pipe they inserted looks like it's a bit too short so the bit of pipe on the vent end won't butt up against it

3) They used silicone sealant to "glue" the vent covers on the wall at each end of the pipe, inside and out. This is instead of separating the vent end from the vent cover - the vent end has provision for being screwed to the wall and the covers just clip on over that.

All in all, not a good install. Haven't quite decided what to do about it yet.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 23:15:32 +0100, Tim Streater wibbled:

That's expected - if you use a drill, hammer and chisel as I did (5" dia pipe) you're lucky if you have

Reply to
Tim Watts

Reply to
Tim Streater

if you've used the fireplace(s) without probs before the CWI was installed, I doubt you'll actually need (or benefit) from the new vents? I'd give it a go "as is" before going to all trouble of venting around rooms etc..?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Yes, we're gonna wait and see before actually doing anything. But, last winter, there was a howling gale under the door of the room whenever we had the fire going. Air going up the chimney has to come from somewhere.

I just wanted to avoid the possible scenario of being nice and warm except for the feet due to a river of cold air flowing across the floor.

My nephew when he had his house remodelled got them to install ducting from the outside direct into the fireplace. But what did the fatheads use? Plastic. And he still was required to have a vent through the wall similar to mine.

Reply to
Tim Streater