neighbours dodgy welder

neighbour on end of same overhead supply line insists on using a dodgy old "buzz box" welder that makes our lights flicker - best plan of action please?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Try to agree (with neighbour) times when you are happy for the neighbour to use the welding set, and times you would prefer him/her to avoid using it? Is the neighbour aware of the problem?

Reply to
Bruce

  1. relax
  2. change from filament to cfl

NT

Reply to
NT

  1. relax
  2. change from filament to cfl

NT

Try talking to your supplier, on an O/H system it's reasonably easy to change you to a different phase from your neighbour.

Jb

Reply to
Jb

What degree of voltage fluctuation do you get? If you do not have measuring equipment you could raise the problem with your electricity supply company who, if you kick up enough, can put in a recording voltmeter for a couple of weeks.

Reply to
cynic

That depends:

1) Is the 11kv at the top of the pole three phase or (like us) single phase? 2) Is the existing transformer a 3 phase one or single phase (like ours)?

There are several properties around here that share a single phase transformer even if all three phases are on the pole.

Agreeing with the neighbour suitable times for welding is probably best follwed by, or as well as, getting the REC to install a monitoring volt meter. Though if the volts are swinging out of tolerance (216 to 253v) I don't think you'd use the word "flickering" to describe what happens to your lights. The REC might fit a larger transformer if the voltage flutuation is large and that is down to the demand being placed on it being higher that what was expected.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice wibbled on Sunday 29 November 2009 21:32

Flickering can be very noticeable even on modest voltage swings.

My bathroom SELV lights (20W filaments) dim noticeably when the 9.5kW water heater cuts in. That's 40A extra draw in an 0.2 Ohm supply impedance so the voltage is dropping 8V at the CU busbar (confirmed by voltage measurements). CFLs flicker sharply too, though they seem to return to nominal brightness immediately. Nothing I can do about it - it's all down to the supply cable.

It is however still in spec - just saying there are circumstances that lights will flicker and everything is well within limits so there may be little chance of getting anything done about it other than the previously mentioned negotiations with the neighbour.

Not that the OP wants to spend his own money sorting this out, but it has occurred to me that this sort of problem may be a legitimate use for those "power saving" voltage conditioners that have been mentioned of late. Wonder if there's a cheaper version that's just gutsy enough to supply a couple of lighting circuits...?

Reply to
Tim W

In a similar situation a chum was having problems with neighbour complaints while welding and it was traced to a high resistance joint in the overhead. Perhaps there is a similar problem on the o/p's line.

Reply to
fred

I'd try the easy cheap option first, filament lamps are especially sensitive to voltage changes, other types aren't. 12v halogens on an electronic tranformer should be fairly immune too, due to the transformer being regulated.

NT

Reply to
NT

NT wibbled on Sunday 29 November 2009 23:16

You'd think so, but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

One point worth noting is that my electronic transformer is a dimmable variety, thus may be by design good at passing relative variations of supply through to the load.

Reply to
Tim W

erm... how would i tell from the ground?

ah... we do share one transformer between us

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

You may well be able to get that upgraded.

M mcrowave used to dim the lights when I had a transformer on a pole.

When I undergrounded the whole thing I got a massive steel cabinet in the corner of the garden. MUCH better.

No flicker!

Talk to electricity supplier.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How many incoming wires are at the pole top?

3 is 3 phase, 2 is single phase.

If you have three wires how many of those are connected to the transformer?

3 is 3 phase, 2 is single phase.

There will also be three pole mounted fuse carriers with a three phase transformer but only one with a single phase. The fuse carriers are normally low down the pole about 8' or so from the ground.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

right:- one fuse, 2 wires feeding transdormer on pole. then 240v? to us then to neighbour

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Nothing I can do about it - it's all down

You could finish off the gas project bit of your bungalow:-)

Although your supply is in spec it may be possible that the OPs supply is not.

What is the output of your transformers before and after the heater has switched on?

Adam

PS I still cannot email you direct Tim

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Single phase shared transformer. The REC might fit a bigger transformer if you ask nicely and the voltage swings are large (but bear in mind the tolerance of 230v -6% +10%, 216v - 253v).

How big is this welder? Does it run off a single 13A socket or does it have a dedicated feed from the CU. If the former the 3kW odd load from it shouldn't really be causing your lights to dim and that does indicate a rather higher supply impedance than is desireable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

pass. it's an arc/stick sort and seems portable enough - it was down his yard the other night (looked like feckin Frankenstein's lab)

Yeah I expect 13A socket (expect also on a very long bodgey extension)

Mmmm erm whassat mean then? (cheers:>)

JimK

Reply to
JimK

It means the stepdown substation from your 11Kv overhead is old and below spec. Which I said a couple of days ago. Get on to electtricity supply people and tell them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

mmm intellisting.....

Could I also argue for improvements with the following "evidence" 1) when my water booster pump kicks in the lights "dip" momentarily, 2) also lights in kitchen dim whilst kettle is on?

ta JimK

Reply to
JimK

Frankenstein? Just hope he hasn't built a Jacob's Ladder too. Welders are one thing, but with a Jacob's Ladder going you'll never see TV again.

Reply to
Andy Dingley