Needs some advice about buying Acetone.

Where I can buy it, and roughly what it would cost per quantity.

I'm looking to use it as a solvent for ABS plastic to turn it into a moulding/adhesive paste instead of Fibreglass when I build the new screen surround I'm working on, for the car PC project.

TIA

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

and thus any other supplier (or perhaps user) of bulk grp stuff. ISTR that there were different grades of it at one time.

Reply to
Autolycus

Dave

Excellent link thanks, can make a lot of use of stuff there.

Cheers.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Another good link thanks, a little more expensive than what Autolycus pasted, but that has been bookmarked too, always good to check alternatives.

Excellent.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

See. I told you. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Rob Convery

You might also try phoning round chemical suppliers and asking them. Often drums of stuff can be surprisingly inexpensive, especially if the company in question offers free delivery, as some do.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thanks to everybody who posted with links and advice, will all come in useful.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

About a pound a litre in any French supermarket or Band Q equivalent

(and up to £300 quid to get there depending on where you live and how long you go for)

But you may know someone going there soon ?

Worth having a look at what's available over there - all sorts of things that aren't available here easily - and some that I wouldn't carry just chucked in the back of a car !

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

I wonder if they're still in the same old scruffy building as years ago? The one with the metal bladed extractor fan in the wall, with no guard and a small sign saying "Keep Your Bloody Fingers Out!" next to it?

Steve Walker

Reply to
Steve Walker

Hmm, why not use proper filler, or add microbaloons/talc etc to a resin.

Acetone+pvc makes a real mess, the fumes will blow your head off and its not a good filler anyway even if you are filling gaps in pvc - its not very spreadable.

Reply to
Nospam

Ah the sensible approach to health and safety.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I know what you mean, a lot of the American sites I've read say just get=20 it from Walmart. Having said that Walmart also carries recharge kits for=20 DUY aircon refurbing in the auto parts aisle. Try that in ASDA.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar