Mysterious exploding toughened glass pane... WTF???!!!

Oh granted, there is difference between a spark in vapour in the petrol station and a cinder in liquid petrol. Recent report in the local rag about a truck which rolled and spilled grain all over the carriageway also mentioned leaking diesel and the consequent fire risk, and there was me thiking you needed to compress diesel vapour before it will burn...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

A 5th choice is cheaper. A cold-applied plastic surface film. Not so good as laminated when broken, but adequate as a safety measure (if the risk is loose shards, rather than falling through it) and far cheaper.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Umm, you don't...

Diesel will burn quite happily given an appropriate source of ignition. Of course the fact it isn't as volatile as petrol means it doesn't have the vapour ready to go 'boom' in an exciting manner even if you're not actually anywhere near any obvious liquid.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

No you don't.

There are other ways of getting it to flashpoint.

Diesel burns remarkably well with any sort of wick.

And, if hot enough, will go up in a ball of fire..think 911. Aircraft fuel is essentially diesel.

Petrol *vapour* if the concentration is critical, will ignite with almost anything. As a *liquid* you can drop a lit match in..and it will douse it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How does a snake mange that ? or did you mean a rough file ...

.an asp

Reply to
Stuart B

I thought aircraft fuel was closer to kerosene than diesel?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Paraffin, surely? Although they are close.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dunno if it's the real name but it's what I've heard those locking telescopic steel batons called.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah yes, that's it. I became aware of that after an article in New Scientist which pointed out that deforestation in some third world areas has got worse because the first world's appetite for aircraft fuel pushed parafin prices up higher than many poor people could afford so they went back to wood.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Technically it's "ASP" I believe - as in the name of the company which makes them.

Arse-kicking Stuff for Police?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Afflictor of Serious Pain?

Accessory for Soft Police?

Approved Smacker of People?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The point about diesel is that you don't need a flash as the vapour auto ignition point is only about 300C whereas high octane petrol (i.e. anything that works in a modern car) will have an auto ignition temperature double that. So slosh diesel on a hot exhaust and it burns, do the same with petrol in the absence of a spark and it won't.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Owain saying something like:

Anti Scrote Pole

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

And totally useless unless its for backing something like a mirror where there is a ridged panel behind. Without the panel the shards will still kill you if you fall on them or if they fall on you.

Reply to
dennis

Well - I told him my tale of woe yesterday and he looked distinctly unconvinced, though he stopped short of telling me I was a liar. He's re-ordering the pane from the factory or whereever it is does the toughening, and will discuss it with them then.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Can I be really boring and put what it actually stands for?

Neznzrag Flfgrzf naq Cebprqherf (ROT 13ed to avoid spoilers).

Reply to
soup

Aye, think oil lamps etc.

Depends on the aircraft fuel some use high octane petrol "Av Gas" but jet engined craft burn "Jet A1" which is essentially kerosene, parrafin, pressure jet heating oil, 28sec viscosity. Diesel is gas oil and 35sec viscousity.

Assuming you can get the lit match through the vapour without it going up.

As a lad my couple of trials of "camp fire" lighting with petrol showed this was not a good idea. Even a desert spoonfull produces enough vapour for a rather large WOOMPH in a *very* short space of time. Also the WOOMPH tends to lift all the bits of your fire a couple of inches into the air and drop them, then the fuel burns away to quickly before the fire has really got going. Parafin is far better, no WOOMPH and a much longer burn time. B-) Didn't have access to diesel at that time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Huge writes

Astonishing really, a single 100um particle changes phase after 10 years and an entire window comes showering down from the 11th floor. Beats a butterfly beating its wings in China causing storm in Harrogate.

Reply to
bof

bof wrote (apparently) in uk.misc on Sat 02 Jun 2007 20:56:34:

Thankfully I live the "other" side of Starbeck to Harrogate. No storms here, thanks... I think butterflies have too much freedom anyway, they shouldn't be kept where their behaviour can affect somewhere several thousand miles away.

Just like politicians, in that respect...

Reply to
Mr Guest

Even worse is those bleedin' Peking Cabbage Whites with nickel sulphide inclusions.Play havoc with the stuff in the greenhouse they do, not to mention the greenhouse itself.

Reply to
John of Aix