Motor not running on Washing M/c

Whirlpool AW1866, built 1996.

With power on the valves open, water comes in, heater heats, eventually the drain pump drains and throughout, the controller rotates OK. But the motor doesn't turn at all. No smell of being burnt out, no other signs of failure and the brushes look OK.

Any ideas?

naffer

Reply to
naffer

If it's a Merloni machine (I've no idea if Whirlpool are) it could be the motor control board. It's unusual that the motor doesn't turn at all because the failure of this board usually results in no spin, but it's worth checking to see if it's gone pop. It's a small board, about 4" x 3", often attached to the side of the machine in a plastic box near the bottom and has

*lots* of numbered wires attached.

You could always call out a "free quotes" repair chappy.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Another possibility is a broken conductor in the wiring loom to the motor, which can happen due to the vibration and flexing during normal operation. Often this goes intermittent before it fails completely though. If it was a sudden failure with no warning, and you have ruled out the brushes (how?), then the control board is most likely.

BTW, don't think Whirlpool is Merloni. Merloni are Indesit, Hotpoint, Ariston, Creda, and possibly a few others I've forgotten. They are renaming the company as Indesit as that is the best known name across Europe, but (last I heard) will retain Hotpoint in UK as that's better known here.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I ordered new brushes, then I checked old ones and found 2-3 cms of life in them! Ho Hum

There seems to be a voltage on the plug that goes into the motor although it has multiple pins so its hard to know whats what!

So whne the new brushes arrive I'll try again!

Reply to
naffer

It's fixed and cost nothing! Well nearly nothing 'cos I'm retired and my grown up kids like me to fix things!

So, some solder from our local Maplins.

Although I'd bought some new brushes. (Ace Domestics supplied new brushes at v good price and good delivery), But Then I found that the old brushes had lots of life in them, perhaps I should have checked first and not relied on my expert friends who said that they knew what the problem was)

Water pressure switch was OK.

So I looked at the Main circuit board on LHS of m/c (from the back).

The problem is always how do you test components soldered to a printed circuit.

Luckily, and not surprisingly, lots of Amps thru' the connection between the relay that switches power to the motor had burnt out at the point where its pin was soldered to the board. How clever is it to put serious amps thru' a PCB?

=A32.99 at Maplins for some solder (I couldn't find mine), a bit of work with my strong spectacles and a soldering iron and the failing joint was jumped.

All OK, daughter's children's wash done OK this evening.

This Whirlpool machine is reasonably well built, the motor is ace! The motor is so good I couldn't bear to to send it the the dump!

But, for want of a little sorting out this m/c would be en-route to the tip.

Cheers

Reply to
naffer

Oh, it's Italian built as well, (aren't they all?), and the motor is very brill, Naffer

Whatever happened to the Dyson W.M?

Reply to
naffer