Mortar and repointing

I have just finished a small area of repointing using some ready mixed Rugby mortar from B&Q. The results are OK but could be better. The original house mortar has very small stones in it, anyone know what is this type of mortar called? Also while repointing how do I keep the damn stuff off the bricks! In the end I had to give the bricks a good scrub!

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Jones

Its just mortar made with 'sharp' rather than 'builders' or 'playpit' sand.

You can vary colours and textures greately using white or grey cement and various grades and colors of sand, and even add hydrated lime for a more soft and buttery type mix.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Steve Jones writes

I've done exactly this with the rear of my house, or at least part of it, in preparation for the conservatory that's now been built. The house has already been re-pointed once, this has left a thick slab of mortar in the joints - something I had no trouble at all recreating. I also ended up scrubbing the bricks. However the front of the house needs doing, and this is still what looks to be fairly original neat pointing. Anybody know what tool I can use to make this neat? The guys building my conservatory are using the point of their builders trowel - but I'm sure I've seen a little tool built just for this (probably cheaper as well).

Reply to
mike. buckley

Use a stiffer mix. A little PVA improves the texture and workability. If you do get lumps on the brick faces, leave them for a couple of hours and then knock them off with the trowel. Trying to get them off when wet just spreads them further.

Reply to
stuart noble

If it covers areas of the wall then its called roughcasting in England and harling in Scotland. If its the pointing between the bricks then maybe it has another name I don't know

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

4 main types of pointing finish:

weatherstruck - slightly angled. flush bucket handle - rounded indented ribbon - proud, flat faced

Weatherstruck is done with the trowel

Flush is done by letting it go off then rubbing with wet sacking

bucket handle is done with either metal pipe or a bit of rounded metal in a handle - dont use wood as it wears down very fast and the resulting shape is all over the shop

ribbon is done with a small plastering tool, and is basically freehand sculpturing. It can make the wall wetter though.

Most to least weather resistant: bucket handle weatherstruck ribbon & flush

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton