Microwave clues?

Can anyone give me a pointer as to where to star investigating the following...

Yesterday evening the Neff Combination Microwave thing decided to play some tricks by tripping the RCD. A bit of process elimination and evaluation gives me the following symptoms...

If Combo. oven is plugged in and switched on so only clock is iluminated it takes around 1 to 2 minutes to trip the RCD.

If the door is opened so the light goes on it trips instantly. The bulb is fine but I am guessing somewhere there is a power>earth leakage.

Anyone give me any pointers as to where to start looking? The Microwave was in use when it started playing up so there was a bit of condensation floating about inside.

It's a bit tricky testing through under power as it pops the trip.

Any ideas? It's about 3 ish years old. Cheers Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

expressed precisely :

Let dry out properly, likely that is all that is causing the RCD to trip.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

RCD tripping on microwaves is most often caused by liquid ingesting the turn-table motor.

Access is almost certainly by means of a rat-tail file on the under-side of the unit, have a look and you will SWIM. There are a couple of lugs and you will need a self tapping screw to replace the cover.

The motor is a standard synchronous type but the shape and length of the spindle vary.

Disconnect both sides of the motor and insulate the wires with tape then try plugging in again and see if it stops tripping the RCD.

Reply to
Graham.

Thanks for that Graham, I should have said, it doesn't have a turntable. :¬) The microwaves don't enter through the traditional waveguide in the side, the bottom of the oven is a microwave permeable surface (sort of wipe clean) so it can't be that. :¬(

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Does the lamp grille have a clear cover over it? If the oven has been used to boil a lot water, then it may have been allow to percolate through to the component gallery in the casing. Have you unplugged it and had the outer casing off? It might just be soaking wet inside. You'll only that if you look.

Mind your hands.

Reply to
BigWallop

:¬)

Well, after being sat in the kichen all weekend I guessed the condensation may have been the problem, so have just plugged back in via extenstion lead and all is well.

I think my good lady just boiled away too much fluid from the chilli.

didn't consider it just being a moisture problem.

Thanks all for the pointers.

Cheers Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk