Masterboard/multiboard conundrum

Hi

I am installing a woodburning stove, for which I needed a sheet of Masterboard. Went to a local builder's merchant and was quoted 180 quid for a sheet. After the smelling salts were broken out I went to another and asked what was available. I was pointed towards Multiboard, which was about =A38 for a sheet. I was told by the chap there that they were to all intents and purposes the same thing. Have they got the price wrong, in which case I'll go and buy lots, or have I been given duff information?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I am installing a woodburning stove, for which I needed a sheet of Masterboard. Went to a local builder's merchant and was quoted 180 quid for a sheet. After the smelling salts were broken out I went to another and asked what was available. I was pointed towards Multiboard, which was about £8 for a sheet. I was told by the chap there that they were to all intents and purposes the same thing. Have they got the price wrong, in which case I'll go and buy lots, or have I been given duff information?

Chris

At first sight both materials are class 0 fire resistant and Multiboard offers 120min fire resitance but Masterboard on 60 minutes.

Looks like they do that same job.

info here

Bob Minchin

The message from "Bob Minchin" contains these words:

So, two layers of the cheap stuff then!

Reply to
Guy King

I am installing a woodburning stove, for which I needed a sheet of Masterboard. Went to a local builder's merchant and was quoted 180 quid for a sheet. After the smelling salts were broken out I went to another and asked what was available. I was pointed towards Multiboard, which was about £8 for a sheet. I was told by the chap there that they were to all intents and purposes the same thing. Have they got the price wrong, in which case I'll go and buy lots, or have I been given duff information?

Chris

AFAIK the "cheap" board provides fire protection in a normal environment but it will not stand continued exposure to heat e.g. 50mm from a wood burner's flue. Masterboard however will stand very high temperatures and rapid and repeated temperature changes.

Just in case you are in the area I can't speak too highly of the prices, service and stock of flue pipes etc. (inc masterboard cut to size/offcuts) of Bob Whitaker Littlefell, Quernmore, Lancaster, Lancashire LA2 9EE Tel: 01524 32664 Classification: Heating Equipment - Solid Fuel

Peter K

Reply to
PeterK

T'other way round Guy. 'half'a layer would do!!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The message from "Bob Minchin" contains these words:

I can just see the Scottish branch of uk.d-i-y lining up with the bandsaw now to do Multiboard Splits.

Reply to
Guy King