Maplin Multimeter: how to use?

Page 3 of 3

writes

With respect, I would advise you to go and read BS EN 61010 and GS38
Yes the volt meter would be fine if only ever used on volts. It is what happens when things go wrong, with a meeter that has been designed to cope with the short circuit current, then there is little problem. If not there is signficant risk of injury. For interest look here http://www.fluke.co.uk/common/prod_pages/redirect.asp?PID=7&PubID 317-eng&locale=uken&bg=ind
That cheap meter is not designed to deal with the 1000s of amps that can flow from the mains, it should be limited to battery operated equipment, or where the supply is energy limited. I have seen one case where a glass fuse blew in a dvm, but it did not stop the arc, infact the inside of the fuse was plated and the arc only stoped when the test leads burnt out. If you are testing mains a set of GS38 compliant (fused) test leads is strongly recomoned. see below
http://www.edw-uk.com/e-wholesaler/Robin/item_sl100_10.htm how much is your sight / hands / hearing worth?
James Salisbury B.Eng(Hons) MIEE

neither I would think, is a 15W bulb
mike r

of getting run over is, I would think higher than the scenario you outline above.
If the device is approved in the UK to be used to test mains voltage, then it is approved to test mains voltage. Sure, it's better to use e.g. a Fluke with well spec'd test leads (as I do) but then there's always a quality / price trade off. It's the same with cars, a Fiesta is liable to come off much worse in an accident than a rugged 4X4. Are you going to tell people not to drive Fiestas because they are less safe ?
Geoff Drage B.Sc (Hons) MIEEE
--
geoff

with your hands is always a bad idea - much better to use a clamp meter. I can't ever remember using a probed meter on Amps except on SELV gear Better to kill the power and start injecting your own & use Mr Ohms to figure out whats going on
http://www.fluke.co.uk/common/prod_pages/redirect.asp?PID=7&PubID 317-eng&locale=uken&bg=ind

Glass at high temperature will conduct anyway
IIRC there are more injuries from arc flash than contact electrocution

Chris Oates <none> wrote:

You'd surely use crock clips if measuring current on mains? And insulated ones? Of course decent ones are unlikely with a cheap DVM.

Trouble is that many things have a very different resistance when cold, so Mr Ohms would only be guessing.
--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

dead and alive at the same time - like the 'many worlds' theory Heisenberg's more applicable - the act of measurement affects what you are measuring
'I think'

still want feeding
--
geoff

you are going to force feed a dead cat ??

something which he isn't
--
geoff

of course in 'many worlds' he wouldn't be totally dead anyway
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 00:37:38 -0000, "Chris Oates" <none> wrote:

A layman's explanation I have heard is that making an observation opening the box "Collapses the wave function" of the cat.
Bad news for the cat.
I can think of several classes of circuitry upon which, making an "observation" with a "Maplin 5 Quid Multimeter" might well have their wave function collapsed.
DG