Making a ruin into something habitable.

Much more likely that the vast majority of the populace have little idea of what the detailed rules are nor the fact they are complex and filled with anomalies. The so called United Kingdom is anything but when it comes to the law. Get out there and campaign if you want the government to change!

Reply to
Peter Crosland

We are over controlled to the benefit of large landowners of which 1% of the population own 70% of the land.

Reply to
IMM

That's exactly what large landowners want. The status quo as they are doing very nicely thank you.

Reply to
IMM

I can't believe that the number of "planning gain" backhanders you have to do to get any project off the ground is surely grounds for the landowners to want easier planning, after all it eats into a lot of profit...

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Ley

I don't follow.

First, we need a definition of large lanowners. How much land do you have to own to be one of those.

Second, how is it to their benefit? Please explain slowly and clearly.

Reply to
Grunff

You forget who you're asking. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The thing is, despite his many rambling threads on the subject, I still don't actually get the crux of his argument.

So I'd like him to slowly and clearly explain it to this totally non-politically inclined engineer type.

Let's see what comes up.

Reply to
Grunff

No I don't either. Much of this 70% is farmland/forest which wouldn't be overly useful for development even if the NIMBYs would allow it. He may be right that the planning process works to the benefit of people (developers) who own the land that is in the right place, but I suspect that these people are not those that make up this "1% own 70%" set.

tim

Reply to
tim

Grunff, before you start on this, do a Google Groups search using keywords like "cahill", "paxman" and "george". Then look at

You will be able to assimilate where all this comes from without all the added noise and confusion. Not that the source material isn't confused enough already......

Essentially this is about dismantling the economic system as we know it to a greater or lesser extent and creating something completely different.

If you believe that that's desirable or achievable then this may be of interest. Otherwise it's all rather pointless.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is what? Please read what you recommend.

Reply to
IMM

Winston Churchill near implemented Land Value Tax in the UK. WW1 got in the way. the offices were all set up.

Reply to
IMM

Nervous, or some other kind?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You should do as we are all, including you, are being shafted.

They (1947 T&C planning act) were put together by the Council for the Protection of Rural England. A group of people who are large landowners, founded by large landowners. Their recommendations were foolishly accepted by a "Labour" government. And a "Labour" government has just passed a law to built to an even higher density making matters even worse.

The planning laws keep towns people out of the countryside, where the large landowners for centuries have generated vast amounts wealth to the detriment of the masses.

Reply to
IMM

Do keep us informed...>!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Or a farm house on farm land accessible only by and for someone working on the farm? e.g. "You just goes through the main gate, down past the cow byre, turns a little left by the dungheap and the house is on t'other side of the sheep pen! Farmer hisself used to live dere one time"!

Reply to
Terry

Interesting; When I visited the UK in 2000 after a continuous absence of 40 years and experience of life style on this side of the Atlantic (during which we built two houses ourseleves on purchased land) I couldn't understand why there were housing shortages and such UK high housing costs. UK is now prosperous so that would account for some of the higher costs, also the more substantial style of 'brick' building, but for a typical house on a small piece of ground to cost four times that in say Canada or the US? Also looking around the UK there was lots of land. Much of it seemingly doing nothing? Some of it cultivated and no doubt there is a need for some historical acreages. Maybe 'unused' land should be the property of 'the crown' i.e. the government, as much of it is elsewhere. For example if I apply for and get a one acre summer cabin 'lot' I pay certain small fees to the province for survey and description, must pay an annual rental fee, meet all conditions of use, i.e. MUST build within certain period of time and maintain that property etc. Then, with conditions met I will own property freehold without further fees after set period. Some of those properties, depending on distance and location can/do turn into permanent homes.

Reply to
Terry

That is true, but when you own the eqiv to half a county all the rents adds up. They must know what they are doing as few of them have sold off their land. The odd estate occassionally sells off a sliver of land on the edges, usually for the odd 5-10 millions or so to keep the main mansion serviced for the next 10 years and usually at the other edge buys up a small farm for buttons to keep up the acreage. Princess Diana's brother did that. They have so much land they can wait until the economic climates suits them to sell very small parts.

Do you understand the meaning of the word?

Reply to
IMM

The situation need not exist if they allow people access to land to build their own homes with their own money. Instead we spend huge amounts of taxpayers money, directly and indirectly, building very small homes to attempt to fill the homes shortage gap. We always have a homes shortage, the UK is always has a housing crisis and has had one for the past 200 years. None of it makes sense at all, well not to the average intelligent person. It makes sense to large land owners who are amongst the riches people in the UK...by doing nothing inventive or creative or showing much business acumen.....just taking rent The situation need not exist.

Land landowners have been engaged in a propaganda campaign for decades in order to convince the people of the UK that we don't have land, the countryside is precious and it should be left alone. They have largely succeeded. People do actually believe it. Wrell they would if they have been spoon fed lies for decades. Firstly we have a land surplus, secondly, the countryside is mainly filled with boring open fields of great vsual merit with much of it subsidised in many ways.

Reply to
IMM

I don't find any of our open fields boring, and I can assure you they aren't subsidised in any way. I am sure many others are in the exact same situation (like most of my neighbours).

Reply to
Grunff

So that's about 6,666 acres each on average for 0.01% of the population.

And still would be if the estates were limited to 70 acres.

How big do you think an average farm should be?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan