Making a dry joint

Pay a student to do them? :)

Reply to
Bob Eager

yes I was thinking of that using a cig lighter or match, but nowerdays around here I'm more likely to find rocking horse shit.

Reply to
whisky-dave

She most likely manages the soldering department/section as part of their equal opportunities dictatorship.

Reply to
whisky-dave

and of course it depends on the tip and the job, we tend to use 1mm and 2.3mm bits the ones for lead free seem best even on leaded solder.

our stations

whisky-dave

Yes. A must have if you do much in the way of repair work. Once fiendishly expensive, though. Not sure about now.

One of those tools you don't know how you ever managed without. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You'd often see it round the PCB connections to a line output transformer on an old telly. Vibrated due to the line drive, and tended to get a bit hot too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not a dry joint, though. A dry joint can be fixed by re-flowing the solder with added flux. Or just re-soldering in the normal way. A break in a track will require other measures to repair.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting. I keep a pin drill to run up the orifice when that happens. And a bit of wire long enough to get into the chamber too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Operate it a few times before using. Makes sure there are no bits stuck in the tube. But the way they 'jump' when used can be a pain. A proper de-solder iron is so much nicer. But almost certainly not worth the cost to most.

Solder braid is often easier to use than a sucker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's the primary reason for solder resist. Secondary would be to provide a degree of insulation to exposed tracks and to prevent oxidisation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And may explain all the dry joints your students get. Is this figure checked with a proper bit temperature checker, or just what the station says it is?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm probably going to get one of those next time round. 63/37 melts at a lower temp but I need to set it to about 290 to work properly. 53/37 had a faster transition from liquid to solid, which helps the joint if I shake a bit!

Reply to
Bob Eager

starting from about 100 euros.

We have one of these

u-2.html

and a rework station AM 6800 which isn't listed. What gest really xpensive are ESD protected stuff.

Our set of 6 tweezers were £160 and they weren;t the best we could have g ot.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Our students aren't getting all dry joints.

Just teh solder station which is under a year old and as we have 11 of them...... And 12 antex versions which I set at 350C

Reply to
whisky-dave

Excuse my stupid mistake. I meant 350C, not 450C.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Got that one totally wrong. Must have been worrying about my boiler. ;-)

I use 350C, not 450C. Sorry.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Forgot to say, if soldering to nickel plate, I always use Bakers soldering fluid to tin it first.

Reply to
Capitol

That's one of the reasons why the ones with a proper electric pump work a lot better.

Much more expensive tho.

Reply to
Sam Crean

vbg.

Reply to
ARW

Given the chance that's the 1st thing out studetns do and then leave them on !!!! We've had 3 bits destroyed this year so far.

Reply to
whisky-dave