Machine Thread to Wood Thread Dowel Screw

That's what screwfix calls them. Is there another name?

16020.

I need something like that for a curtain rail: machine screw end into the rail holder and dowel thread into the wall.

Unfortunately the one supplied has about 15mm protruding, which means that when you deduct 12mm for the plasterboard, 2mm for the plaster, and 1mm for the paper, there's nothing left to go into the noggin beneath!

Can I get any longer ones anywhere? Google seems to point me back to screwfix ;(

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Isaac Lord or Hafele (for retail try BK Services) are good places to look for stuff like this. Anything here?

difficulty for a one off is the p&p charges. Having said that Issac Lord have been very decent to me in the past by posting something light by Royal Mail for a lot less than their default p&p. Worth an ask on the phone.

Reply to
Bolted

Don't screw it in so far. There's usually plenty of thread on the woodscrew part, you just screw them down until there's as much machine screw thread as you need.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

> Part 16020.

just use threaded rod and cut it whatever size you like, drill, glue or plaster it in. No need for faffing about and more accurate than trying to screw it in to the right position. No d-i-y tool set is complete with out a selection of stainless threaded rods. Get you out of all manner of awkward situations.

Spamlet

Thanks for the links. I am checking them now. Daft question but is the width simply the external measurement across the thread? I've just put a vernier calliper across the dowel supplied but it measures 5.7mm. That doesn't seem to match any common size; I've even tried concerting to 1/16ths and 1/32nds of an inch but it doesn't match those. Should I round it up to M6 or down to M5 or something else all together?

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Thanks, I'll have another look at it.

Reply to
Fred

Yes, I had wondered about that. I wasn't sure how easy it would be to secure in the wall though but if all of the above are possible, it sounds like that shouldn't be a problem after all. I've just got to work out which size thread to buy now. thanks.

Reply to
Fred