low voltage pond pump...

Hi All, I'dlike to create a 24V AC circuit for my garden. I'm going to run lights off it and I'd also like to run a pond pump off it. I've seen hoselock sell some low voltage cascade pumps that run at 24V. Does anyone know if they are AC, or whether the power supply that comes with it rectifies to DC? Are there any other low volt 24V AC pumps / other pond accessories I could consider? If I replaced their supply with a different (higher capacity) 24V trasformer, could anyone foresee any problems? I'd prefer not to run more than one low volt circuit out of the house as the wires will need to run down the side of the house...

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Durkin

There should be no problem in using a higher capacity supply - provided it can supply *all* your needs simultaneously.

I've no idea whether the hoselock pump is AC or DC - but you will need an appropriate supply for whichever it is. The lights probably don't mind whether you feed them AC or DC - so use whatever the pump needs.

Reply to
Set Square

It's almost certain to be AC. Converting a mains pump to be a low-voltage pump is just a matter of putting less turns of thicker wire onto the motor. Making a DC pump is more involved, you either need to use a brushed motor, or electronics to chop the voltage.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

They are AC - I have got the Cascade 1500

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Percy

Thanks all! Someone also dropped me a mail about voltage drop over the distance of cable. I *think* I'll be OK as the cable lengths aren't massive, but I might just do some calculatoins to work out how much resistance will be in the cable run to get an idea... So long as it's not much I probably don't care much if my pump isn't quite as powerful or the lights as bright. I'm planning to fit a dimmer to the lights anyway!! As always - thanks for the advice... Matt

Reply to
Matthew Durkin

Spent the weekend holiday searching and locating bits for a water-feature .... AFAIK ... , Hozelock subsidiary Cyprio manufacture the Cascade range of pumps in both 230V AC and 24V DC variants. The pumps seem to have identical 'specs irrespective of the supply voltage. _However_ while the sheds all seem to stock the 230V AC variants I had difficulty finding a shop that stocked the 24V variety. {One retailer told me that Hozelock discount the 230V variant but don't drop the price for the

24V DC types; so most retailers can't be bothered to stock them]. I wanted to walk out with a pump and didn't want the palaver of ordering one for delivery/ pick-up next weekend.

The 24V DC variety has a indoor-quality transformer module and a short flying cable terminating in a two-pin plocket; the pump has a 7.5m flying cable terminating in a mating two-pin connector. Extension cables are available in 7.5m and 15m rolls. Each cable is terminated with the same plin/plocket ends as the pump and transformer. They just connect end-to-end. I needed to drill a 15mm hole (to provide clearance for the connector) through the garage wall for the

24V cable.

The transformer is 60 VA - a number that I couldn't find on the box exterior.

I don't think you'll have to bother with a dimmer for the lights! The 10W lamps are sufficient to indicate where the plants are located - but are unlikely to lure any passing helicopters/

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

They are not DC they are AC...

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Percy

You are correct; I've read the box - it's marked "24V Low voltage"; for some reason I interpreted that to mean 'DC' - sorry!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I'm not rtying to dim pond lights but some low volt outdoor lanterns! I want one big 24V circuit for lanterns, pond pump and pond lights. Sounds great. 24V AC is all I needed to know - and the fact that your is

60VA (Watts) is also useful information when I come to buy my transformer. Thanks all, Matt
Reply to
Matthew Durkin