low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where?

Can anyone suggest a better way or ready made supplier for this?
I'd like to light up my new house's drive when the car arrives/leaves. (It's easy to damage the tyres on the stone edging on the drive ). But since it's a long drive & to save time/expense I don't want to mess about with buried mains cable.
It seems all I need is a PIR that supplies a switched mains feed to one of these low voltage drive lights sets you can buy that just plug into a 13A socket.. Then just run low voltage cables to the lights (about 4 of them)
But I'm not so sure about getting the switched output - I can wire up a PIR from the lighting circuit, but then I presumably have to put the switched output into a fused 13A socket for the lights transformer?
Something tells me there's a better way.....? Can you get low voltage PIRs - I thought of alarm systems but I 'd need it to stay on for a few minutes?
My other alternative would be to use one of those radio controlled mains sockets and keep a transmiter in the car, but then I have to remember to switch it off when leaving, unless you can get one with a timer .
Can anyone help with suggestions - thanks Keith
Drive is flat, approx 3 cars by 2 cars size , and has stone edging that has sharp edges, arranged in a curve that's hard to judge at night.

How about a set of those solar powered garden lights, currently available from about 10 a pair? Use them to mark drive edge.
--
Niall

The mains PIR is the simplest solution, wire it to a fused spur box and connect the low voltage lights to that.
--
Tim Mitchell

You might as well use white painted sticks for all the use they are...
--
*Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:42:50 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Funny, the ones I use for a similar application are quite effective.
--
Niall

Thanks for the suggestions - I think the solar ones are probably out anyway , as I don't want to light up the drive all night, just when reversing the car , so I think that's either radio or PIR controlled.

http://optics.org/articles/news/8/4/3/1
--
Tim Mitchell

Thanks.
Adam

seen any in "real life" on the road.
--
Tim Mitchell

On the A61 between Barnsley and Wakefield at Woolley. And I saw some recently on the A638 near Upton, but I cannot remember the precise location. Adam
ARWadsworth wrote:

Rochdale-Blackburn at Norden. Rochdale-"Tim Bobbin Brew" - between Milnrow and Hollingworth Lake.
Steve