low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where?

Can anyone suggest a better way or ready made supplier for this?

I'd like to light up my new house's drive when the car arrives/leaves. (It's easy to damage the tyres on the stone edging on the drive ). But since it's a long drive & to save time/expense I don't want to mess about with buried mains cable.

It seems all I need is a PIR that supplies a switched mains feed to one of these low voltage drive lights sets you can buy that just plug into a 13A socket.. Then just run low voltage cables to the lights (about 4 of them)

But I'm not so sure about getting the switched output - I can wire up a PIR from the lighting circuit, but then I presumably have to put the switched output into a fused 13A socket for the lights transformer?

Something tells me there's a better way.....? Can you get low voltage PIRs - I thought of alarm systems but I 'd need it to stay on for a few minutes?

My other alternative would be to use one of those radio controlled mains sockets and keep a transmiter in the car, but then I have to remember to switch it off when leaving, unless you can get one with a timer .

Can anyone help with suggestions - thanks Keith

Drive is flat, approx 3 cars by 2 cars size , and has stone edging that has sharp edges, arranged in a curve that's hard to judge at night.

Reply to
keith

How about a set of those solar powered garden lights, currently available from about £10 a pair? Use them to mark drive edge.

Reply to
Niall

In article , Niall writes

Waste of time, a glow worm gives out more light. The mains PIR is the simplest solution, wire it to a fused spur box and connect the low voltage lights to that.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

You might as well use white painted sticks for all the use they are...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Funny, the ones I use for a similar application are quite effective.

Reply to
Niall

Thanks for the suggestions - I think the solar ones are probably out anyway , as I don't want to light up the drive all night, just when reversing the car , so I think that's either radio or PIR controlled.

Reply to
keith

It is a pity you cannot get hold of the "high intensity cats eyes" that they are using in some parts of the country on trial runs. There are a couple of these that I know about and they have been running for a few years. It is possible to drive a car on an unlit road without headlights and the eyes look like an airport landing strip. Does anyone know more about these "cats eyes" and how they work.

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In article , ARWadsworth writes

Tim Mitchell

Thanks.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In article , ARWadsworth writes

Do you know where there are any of these LED cats eyes? I have never seen any in "real life" on the road.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

On the A61 between Barnsley and Wakefield at Woolley. And I saw some recently on the A638 near Upton, but I cannot remember the precise location. Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Rochdale-Blackburn at Norden. Rochdale-"Tim Bobbin Brew" - between Milnrow and Hollingworth Lake.

Steve

Reply to
Steve