Looking for narrow cold chisel to remove pointing

I've got a really narrow cold chisel which I am using to remove the mortar between my bricks prior to repointing but some of the bricks are really close and I need something narrower - about 4 to 5 mm wide.

Does anyone know where I could get one as I've so far failed in my search.

Reply to
Murmansk69

Plugging chisel? You could grind it thinner if needed.

Dave Plowman (News)

Sounds like you need what we used to call a joint chisel, something like this;

Dave

Reply to
DAVE

These do a nice job:

John Rumm

I had the same problem and used an old screwdriver. Mind you, the stuff I was removing was pretty soft.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

This has got to be a job for an angle grinder.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

How about calling this bloke?

Toby

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not so keen on using an angle grinder - not least because they terrify me - but also because I'm planning to do a bit at a time.

The Screwfix plugging chisel is what I already have and it's too wide (although Screwfix don't actually say how wide it is!)

The other Screwfix item looks interesting but I'd need an SDS drill.

I think I may end up grinding down the one I have

Reply to
Murmansk69

What they call a win win situation ;-) (you know you want one!)

Reply to
John Rumm

The sheds usually stock them too - mine came from IIRC Wicks, and is a 'bare' one, so not the same as the Screwfix one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Look for the smallest of the three items here:

small brick chisel / bolster is much thinner (about 1/8" with parallel flat sides) than most other chisels and can usually be bought as a single item. I tend to use it at an angle driving along a mortar course going deeper into the course as it progresses.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Given a choice between swinging a hammer for hours or holding an SDS drill for less time I know which I'd go for.

Yep, that's right the hammer driven by pneumatics...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How about tooledup.com:

" is says.

They have two others from Draper but they don't give the width and the only difference between then that I can see is the price.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not so sure. Most which need re-pointing will have lime mortar. And the very worst thing to do is to rake that out too deep.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)