Lithium batteries

Selling a camera that has a spare Lithium battery, anyone know of how I can legally post this, as the post office refuses unless the battery is in the item being sold. I could I suppose sell without the spare but the battery will be of no use to me and I would rather pass it on.

Reply to
ss

Look for a toy or otherwise worthless film camera in a charity shop, stick the spare battery inside it. Then you are shipping two cameras with batteries inside.

Being *sensible*, the thing the camera supplies is mechanical protection. Provided the spare is packaged with comparable protection (e.g. bubble wrap inside a tobacco tin?) I think I would just be economical with the truth.

Reply to
newshound

You need to use a courier which will carry lithium batteries.

CPC use UPS for lithium batteries, but it would appear the box has to have a label on the outside saying there's a lithium battery inside.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Make sure the battery is in a spare box or some other insulated container that won't get damaged in post.

Reply to
Michael Chare

My issue is that they x-ray many parcels and if found to fall foul ie a spare battery they destroy the whole package, so although yes I could pack it to be safe I could risk losing the complete parcel. The post office point blank refuse to take them even if properly packed (safely) according to their counter staff.

Reply to
ss

CollectPlus don't prohibit lithium batteries.

Or you could use the Chinese approach... tape an LED to the side and declare it's a 'torch'...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

So hang on a moment, if that were truly the case, how do people buy batteries through the mail then? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Bob Eager

If the destination is within the UK, and being sent with an electronic device but not fitted inside that device (e.g. including a spare battery with the camera), then the Royal Mail will accept it. See "Electronic devices sent with lithium batteries" section above. I've found it's not uncommon for Post Offices to quote Royal Mail's International destination rules despite asking about UK destination items when I've verbally asked, rather than the more relaxed UK destination rules which should have applied.

David Hearn

How else would you have asked? :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Thanks for that, I better print that section off in readiness of having to argue with them.

Reply to
ss

Yes, I know I did not answer your question! When I think of it, I have received several Lithium 18650 batteries in the post, just by themselves. Maybe, it is just as well that I just buy cheap ones.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I have just scraped a pack of Energiser Lithium L91 AA's out of the ice at the bottom of the freezer. Must have bought them more than

10 years ago. They still read 1.57 volts.

I was wondering why I hadn't seem them on sale anywhere for many years.

Reply to
Andrew

In message , at 22:28:42 on Sun, 13 Nov

2016, ss remarked:

The rule used to be that it was OK if the phone was in its original packaging, which sometimes has the battery packed separately in a plastic bag.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 22:28:42 on Sun, 13 Nov

2016, ss remarked: