lights in outbuildings....

/I though it was no longer to clip T&E to the wall behind plants & leave it.

NT /q

Even if true, I'm not sure how that would apply to the OP, seems odd that you 'alluded' to it...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Well you raise a good point. "Behind plants" is asking for it to get slashed or belted when the plants are trimmed.

Not sure if the OP said anything about "behind plants" though...

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's no different to the 16th edition regs.

Reply to
ARW

I should really look at that before commenting. But although it may not apply to this case, I was surprised to learn that some 'DIN standard' double pole RCDs have the live on the left, while others have the live on the right. Without taking one apart (though I might if I get one that has failed) I would guess that although the RCD would still function in the event of a real fault, the 'test' button wouldn't work if L and N were the wrong way round.

Reply to
Windmill

Test button passes current from Lin to Nout.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I should have engaged brain before typing. That would work regardless of which side was actually live (as in fact would most/all other arrangements). I'll blame the Scotch, which I don't usually touch at other times of the year.

The 'L' marking is really just informational, isn't it? Course you wouldn't want to cause confusion by having the 'L' side be the neutral. I suppose they're trying to force people to match the RCD make to the CU.

Reply to
Windmill

Some RCDs also detect 240v from L to E, and dont come on if its not present.

NT

Reply to
meow2222