Light Bulbs

Where can I get Energy saving bulbs more powerful than 25w for a brighter light ,something equivalent to 150w Thank you E

Reply to
Ed

The trivial answer is to use two.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Haven't checked for a while, but Homebase did a 30W one, only available with an Edison Screw lamp base though.

The trouble with higher power ones are that the heat from the tube cooks the electronic control gear if run base-up. Higher power ones are more readily in the US, but they usually come with a warning that they must not be operated base-up or they will suffer shortened life. You can find them mail-order in the UK too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If its inside use a flourescent ring type, you can get em up to about

60w with equivalent of about 200 - 250w

like

Staffbull

even do pink ones too

NT

Reply to
meow2222

These beasts are "the equivalent of 400watts of tungsten bulb"

The 1st Philosophical Handyman

The message from "The 1st Philosophical Handyman of the Humber" contains these words:

I really ought to go to bed. I read that as "These breasts" - and wondered how globe-like the were.

Reply to
Guy King

Ian Stirling

Here:

Vortex

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:06:23 -0000 someone who may be "Ed" wrote this:-

What do you want to light, what sort of duty cycle?

It may be that a different sort of lamp is better.

Reply to
David Hansen

for £8 to £20,how people can read or function with even 25w ones which are supposed to be 150w I do not know, most in the shops are equivalent to 60 watts hardly enough to light a small room

Reply to
Ed

)=A3(% my readings light's 5w.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

So use two, on an adaptor.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thank you Probably a good Idea, so where can I purchase on to fit in a single bayonet holder and look tidy ---- I havent seen anything like that for years

Reply to
Ed

Well, make one...

Andrew Gabriel

Then, NT, you obviously have good eyesight. Unfortunately, not all human beings are the same. I started a similar thread recently because, although I consider myself to be eco-friendly and would love to do away with my old-fashioned incandescent lamps, my faulty eyesight (and I'm only 48 - it's gonna get worse as I get older) just cannot get to grips with these CFLs. I need light, and lots of it - CFLs are (to me, anyway) dim and dismal.

John.

Reply to
John

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:59:21 -0000 someone who may be "Ed" wrote this:-

This doesn't answer the question. Do you want to light a room to a high level of brightness? If so how big is the room and why do you want to light the whole room to this level, rather than lighting tasks and providing a lower level of general lighting?

Is the bright lighting (general or task) to be on all the time, or switched on and off regularly.

Reply to
David Hansen

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

We use those little Ikea 7W R50 bulbs in bendable reading lamps. Ideal, and plenty bright enough provided you wait a couple of minutes for them to warm up. I rather like the slow start - it's easier on the eye in the middle of the night.

Reply to
Guy King

watch T.V and sit relatively near the fire, a 150w normal bulb suited in the past; on most of the time,for this main position in the long room, there are other lights in the room ,wall and ceiling, but it is as the main one above us that we find the 25w low energy poor and I am sure other older people would as well

Reply to
Ed

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 10:01:49 -0000 someone who may be "Ed" wrote this:-

I suggest task lighting in the areas where these are done. This can be switched on when necessary and will be a great improvement over a

150W bulb in the ceiling for doing these tasks.

There are any number of such lights, many taking compact fluorescent lamps, though for some forms of needlework another type of lamp may be better for precise colour rendering.

Do these require a lot of light?

I would have thought that even a 20W compact fluorescent lamp in the middle of the room would be adequate for general lighting, if there is adequate task lighting.

Reply to
David Hansen