Lead looking paint

Need to paint a plastic canopy that is above the bay window. TYhe original looks like lead flashing colour. I have tried B&Q both the standard paint and the possibility of mixing the paint to my requirements. The colour they can mix in a matt finish is only done in a 5l tin, all i need is 750ml tin. Anyone recommend anywhere else.
Thanks.

If it is a Matt finish in 5L containers I take it is an emulsion? Probably not suitable for plastic anyway.
What about having it in an oil based gloss finish and then matt varnish over the top?
--
Chris French, Leeds

chris French wrote:

Have a look at the plasticote range of weird spray on colors - they do various metallics. Also Hammerite.
On 9 Dec 2003 05:01:35 -0800, chip snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ian) wrote:

The main problem is choosing a paint that will stick to this particular plastic. If not chosen carefully, you may find it will flake off. You really need a paint that retains some flexibility after it's dry. To make a lead-coloured paint, find a grey colour that matches lead, and add a little bit of silver. That should convince most people. What *might* stick is *smooth* grey Hammerite (not the normal hammered-effect Hammerite, because that won't look like lead). Might be a good idea to key the plastic first (every square inch of it) with some slightly coarse sandpaper, and wipe it clean with white spirit to make sure all crease (inclusing human skin oils) are competely removed.
HTH
Allen
Hello
I did see the plasticote range, they only do the paint pots in those very small pots, probably take at least 10.
I thought about spray, but would take hours to mask up, very complicated design.
I did see the hamerite range, but i was told that if its painted over existing paint it will blemish and peel off very quickly. Dont want to take all the paint off as its plastic and dimple affect so wouldnt be possible.
Paint needs to be flexible due to heat of the sun, work on plastic and matt finish.
Looking like i may need to buy the 5L tin, i could always sell it on to my neighbours. Some of them have painted their canopies silver and it looks so cheap and stand out like a mile.
ian wrote:

Hit a hobby shop and get some humbrol enamels then.