Lead in paint?

How does one tell if paint has lead in it?
Just got a heat gun to remove all the horrible layers of flaking paint from my garage. It's a 1930's house, but I've no idea when the garage was added (not recently though!). I believe paint in the 60's and before quite often had lead in it - don't really want to breathe it in or ingest the dust if it does!!!

You can only tell if it contains lead through analysis.
The introduction of lead in household paint was banned sometime during the mid sixties IIRC, However if your in doubt as to it's content I'd recommend wearing a mask anyway just to be on the safe side :)
I am presently rubbing down (or stripping to be more precise) painted woodwork thats over eighty years old and it almost certainly contains lead, Okay it's on a vehicle but unfortunately I cannot use any other method to remove the paint other than by hand and wearing a mask is pretty uncomfortable in this weather too :(
Steve.
--
Vehicle Painting Pointers: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes

What's more dangerous then, dust or vapour?
[snip]

Depends which way the wind is blowing :)
You have less control over dust so the amount ingested might be more than it would as a vapour, You can stand back to avoid vapours but not so with dust IYSWIM.
Having said that I'd wear a mask anyway even if you knew for certain the paint doesn't contain lead, again to protect your lungs.
Steve.
--
Vehicle Painting Pointers: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
@blueyonder.co.uk says...

I think I remember seeing a cylindrical stick thing (in some diy store) that you rub on a surface and the end of it will change red if lead is detected. Wouldn't expect it to be too accurate though.
--
Dazed

Remove 'NOSPAM' to reply by E-Mail.

I picked up a small testing kit from one of the decorating suppliers some time ago. I think it might even have been free.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Run a google groups search on this group - the subject has come up a couple of times before - dangers of lead, testing kits, methods for stripping, etc.
John Schmidt's probably detailed the precise dangers, and Max Bone's probably detailed methods for stripping. Apologies to all others who's posts on the subject escape me at the moment....
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson

Didn't find a lot with "lead paint group:uk.d-i-y" to be honest. Just this crayon thing from a diy store. Has anyone had any success with them?
wrote in message news:3f30f5b9$0$10776

That's odd... the search (forgive the word wrap - I want to show the entire URL constructed by the search) ...
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=lead%20paint&safe=images&ie=ISO-8859 - 1&as_ugroup=uk.d-i-y&lr=&hl=en
... returns about 500 results for me, the top 10 being particularly releavent.
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson

Hmmm ... me too this time ..... {scratches head} ....!