Lawn mower

I have had three lawn mowers bit the dust in the last month. My old Mount field has sprung a leak on its petrol tank ( 15 years old , so I wont grumble). I borrowed a cheap Champion from my mother and that has blown up under the strain. and my trusty 16inch cut Trojan ( more than 20 years old) is still going at it but bits fall off here and there because its rusted out.

So I need a new ( and not to break the bank) one I have seen the McCulloch M53-675CMDW 190cc B and S Engine 53cm Cut Petrol Self Propelled Lawn Mower

Does anyone have one? Is it OK for a largish, not very even piece of grass that passes for a lawn with trees and shrubs around it. ( about 1/3 of an acre) £400 is my limit for this, so cant be too fancy and it has to be available for someone who doesn't live near London or the home counties.

Reply to
sweetheart

Can you not mend the leak in the mountfield tank? Mind, IIRC mountfields used to use plastic tanks so that may be difficult. Could you fit a replacement tank?

I have an Atco with a B & S engine. Did nothing to it for three years (four summers). Still started this year but I thought I had better service it, if nothing else, the blade needed a sharpen. Atco don't appear to be making rotaries now.

Reply to
Old Codger

It has a plastic tank. It is likely to cost more to repair the lawn mower than to buy one ( there could be a number of other things wrong too - dont know and am not about to have it serviced for nothing.

I searched the interernet and couldn't find anything as big as I want ( needs to be minimum 53 cm cut.)

Reply to
sweetheart

Can't you steal the tank off the dead Champion?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

You mean can HE take the tank from one and put it on the other? I havent asked , but I could wait all year for that. I was under the impression it wouldnt fit but I dont know. I wouldnt know where to begin myself.

I need a lawn mower before the grass gets up around my neck. Its already burried the septic tank access points. I will need to hunt for them before I try and mow around them. I will have to order the Mc Culloch and hope for the best. Thanks.

Reply to
sweetheart

Depending on the Mountfield Model Ebay has a tank at £24...and £19. (Seach Mountfield petrol tank)

Look up Pacey Mowers in Orpington, Kent and ask Ian how much for your model and to post the tank to you Also might have a mower suitable if you don't want to have the old one repaired.

Reply to
Londonman

Seems daft to junk a working mower because of a leaking tank without looking at replacing the tank.

What model is it? Have you tried eBay? Is this any use?

perhaps this?

Tim Downie

Too late, it seems. Over >Obviously no one has experience of this mower. Well I have bought it now. I

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Um, are you limbless? This is a DIY group you know. Mending a mower is hardly rocket science.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Yes I know this is a DIY group and I have had some very useful advice for fixing things ( most recently my new glass cabinet for my aunts porcelain collection.) I can manage small things. A petrol tank might as well be rocket science. I might manage to get my OH to do it eventually. I could probably then keep the mountfield as a second machine in case of accidents or similar. My old Trojan is biting the dust with rust. The champion is knackered beyond repair ( engine gone) and I had a Bosch ( again my mothers) which failed the lawn test here.

A new lawn mower will mean I get on top of the garden before it burries me. Thanks.

Reply to
sweetheart

I see you bought one. Replace the tank on the mountfield and you ahve a backup. Its a trivial job costing about nothing, all sorts of containers can hold petrol. In some countries its popular to use 2 litre drinks bottles as petrol tanks.

NT

Reply to
NT

OK so my lawn mower arrived on Tuesday. OH set it up and put oil in it. I ran it two rings round the grass and it worked. Today I asked it to mow the lawn in full . It managed the back lawn - an hours work. Got stuck a couple of times in long grass, so I didn't ask it to do that. I took it round the front ( another large lawn) . The petrol tank was empty so I put some in. Tried to start it and ..... a big fat NOTHING.

Don't buy a Mc Culloch. It wont do the job. I don't know whats wrong. There are no choakages. The blade is running free. The Briggs and Stratton engine seems to be the problem. It is turning but wont fire. So is this the fourth one for the tip or can someone tell me what might be wrong?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
sweetheart

If you bought it online or by mail-order there's still (only just) time for you to reject it under the Distance Selling Regulations and get a full refund - including delivery charges.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Can't you take it back to the dealer?

Also: once you've turned it over a few times without it starting, best to leave it for a few minutes before trying again. Otherwise you get a lot of juice in the cylinder and it won't start like that. Needs a minute or two to dry out.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Are you *sure* it was petrol you put in? Not parafin or diesel...

Did it stop whilst mowing?

If so the float chamber(*) would probably be empty and you'd need a few pushes of the prime button to refill it. With the engine hot or warm one wouldn't normally need to use the prime button that is only needed when stone cold.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It was deinitely petrol. It did stop whilst mowing but that was because I choaked it with long grass. I cleared the choakage and it started.

Anyway, OH reckons I over filled the petrol or spilled some and it got on the spark plug and I had to wait for it to evaporate. I left the machine on the front garden for an hour and then he went and started it. I now have my lawns done.

I dont have one of these. Its called a " ready start " engine and its choak and all such matters are supposed to be automatic.

With the engine hot or warm

The engine was warm . I ironically it seemed to need to be cooler.

Anyway, other than that, the machine did its job. I wouldn't call it a light machine though. It doesn't turn on a sixpence either. But it did make short work of the garden ( except for the 3ft high patch round the septic tanking area. . I left that. It will have to be strimmed first.

The mulcher amazingly worked well. I did use the grass basket for most of the cut though. So I wont rubbish it entirely. It is just a bit not ready to start sometimes.

Reply to
sweetheart

Honda.

Reply to
Adrian C

Indeed. Probably the reason why it didn't start.

probably needed a bit of choke to suck the air out of the fuel system after it ran dry.

Once it had cooled, you got it.

Next time it runs dry, just keep pulling. The fuel gets there eventually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher