Large piece of slate for Hearth

That's what I want...must be about 145 cms X 50 cms
The largest stock items that stone/slate distributors seem to have is 130 X yy - the "yy" (> 45 cms) dimension is easy to get - just can't seem to get anything wider than say 150 cms.
Anyone know of anywhwere in Surrey/Kent/Sussex/London ?
I've tried Silverland Stone but not wide enough....
Ta
-- Phil
On 28 Nov 2003 05:40:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@philandlaura.com (Phil) wrote:

Mine came from the Billiard table we used to have - you get several good wide slabs from one of those...
However - the side panel of my bath is also slate and the bathroom is due for a thorough overhaul in the new year - the panel is 54 cm and is - well - bath - length! (only a short ruler to immediate hand!)
e-mail me.
Barley Twist (Please put out the cats to reply direct)
The Electric Monk wrote:

Standard pub type pool tables will have a single piece slate that would be about 6' by 3'. Might be worth trying a local supplier to see if they've got any damaged ones left over, I've got one but it's broke roughly in half and is destined to be used as a waterfall when I get round to building my pond.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /
On 28 Nov 2003 05:40:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@philandlaura.com (Phil) wrote:

Try Stonell in Paddock Wood. They may be able to source something for you
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
     snipped-for-privacy@philandlaura.com (Phil) writes:

Might have to try a quarry for something that size, but I doubt you'll find one in the area you mentioned. It's probably a question of mining a large enough piece from which to cut what you want, and having the ability to handle the size/weight of the piece before cutting it down.
--
Andrew Gabriel

I got mine from a monumental mason. Im in East Yorks is that near Surrey ??
Andy

Yes, if you're American.
Rob Graham

Reminds me of a conversation with an American some years back...
"We live in the Thames Valley".
"Gee, I know the owner of the hardware store in the Thames Valley".
--
Andrew Gabriel

There are some qauuries arround that will make any size you want, there is one on the horseshoe pass in north wales, and one on honister pass in the lakes. Both have websites. There are also the stalte quarries in snowdonia, but I don't know id these do these things.
I once saw an old outbuilding made entirley of slate sheets, so it must be possible to get really big sheets.
Rick
On 28 Nov 2003 05:40:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@philandlaura.com (Phil) wrote:

on the horseshoe pass in north wales, and one on honister pass in the lakes. Both

FYI, I ordered a slate hearth from the one near Llechwedd (cant' remember the name, but started with G I think) about 20 years ago. Six feet by 3 feet, with a hearth cut out, two inches thick - I had to hire a van to collect it, but it only cost 50 quid, and the guy rounded off the corners and oiled it for me! Made a fantastic raised hearth.
SarahEmm (recent lurker, but prefers to have other people do the work nowadays :)