Is it possible to dissemble and rebuild a door?

Hello all,

I have this solid old oak door that I got from a friend a few years ago. When I put it in, it was badly warped, so I clamped it under tension for about two weeks, which seemed to solve the problem at the time. Now the door has started sagging and the bottom edge furthest away from the hinges rubs against the floor. More importantly, it's starting to drive the wife mad, and she wants to throw the door onto the skip outside our front door, which is a shame because it is a nice door.

Is it possible that the glued joints were weakened by the clamping, which is causing the door to sag under its own weight? If so, is there any way to dissemble it so that I can reglue it together again?

Many thanks,

Paul

-- paulDOTmoore@pandoraDOTbe

Reply to
Paul Moore

Sounds like taking apart and regluing might work

However, if its a mortise and tenon door then watch out for dowels/star dowels used to reinforce the M/T joints. If they are there then they would need removing before trying to knock the joint apart. Check for wedges on the joints too. You might be able to get the wedges out so freeing up the M/T joints. Reverse clamping might be the way to see if you can get it to it's constituent parts. Less likely to cause damage than a hammer and block....

Hard to say without seeing it....try not to throw away an old solid oak door though...

Cheers

Nicholas

Reply to
Nicholas

that's your problem!

Native oak is renowned for going its own way even centuries after being turned into timber. Call it the patina of age and enjoy!

No doubt someone will claim that it is an imported oak species and not our native, even so oak is oak.

Sheer and utter vandalism to chuck good oak onto the scrapheap. Can you bend the doorpost to fit?

Reply to
jim_in_sussex