Is hanging doors like tiling?

Cos we liked Humphreyella better.

Reply to
Suz

Oh.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Bloody hell!

He's used more tools than me in his advice. The only thing I would suggest is you use your manky chisels for wedges. Then when the door is hung, throw them in the bin. Or give them to a painter.

Chisels are excellent quality and dirt cheap at market stalls these days. Get a wide one, a narrow one and a middle sized one. Get a double sided stone and hone their faces to remove the milling machine marks off. Then put edges on them.

You need a tape, hammer and a pencil too. If you are going to plane the door get the jack I said to or again a cheap iron one from a market stall. If you buy new, the same business applies with the face of the blade.

That's the minimum tools. The long post I originally pasted was for general consumption and not intended to put anyone off. Using any old level is worse than none in some cases -if you don't know for a fact how accurate it is.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Take that back Sir! I have _never_ claimed to be an Injuneer... "Consultant" is a much warmer, fuzzier description to use, though Collaborative Solutions System Managemenet Software Developer would be technically more accurate... :-)

I couldn't be sure when I pasted it in whether it was double spaced or not. Looked like an odd paragraph setting had been copied across, and figured it might be stripped out by the newsreader as it's set for plaintext posting. Besides, the double-spacing will help the English Lit grads when they print it out to analyse...

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

In message , RichardS writes

You should have gone easy on the big words in that case

Reply to
geoff

couldn't see where.

Why do you recommend throwing chisels away and buying again?

why not do that to the existing chisels?

If the door fit is close, but it often isn't. It takes a real long time to plane 5" off a door.

Age has nothing to do with it. Old or new makes no difference with levels.

Second you can check a level by putting it on something horizontal, then putting it in the same place the other way round. You should get the same indication: if it gives 2 different readings its misaligned.

I guess you're just one of these strange folks who likes to throw his tools away and buy again. I'm one of the ones that says 'thank you very much' and can't figure out why anyone would throw their perfectly good tool kit out.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Hi Peter,

The `Oxford' comma is useful too.

I'd like to thank my parents, Mother Teresa and God. I'd like to thank my parents, Mother Teresa, and God.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ralph Corderoy