Is hanging doors like tiling?

Page 2 of 2

Why?

Cos we liked Humphreyella better.

Oh.

simple as

it?
Thanks for all that Michael. We are prob. distant cousins from Barra :-) Suzanne

Hi Suz.
Its easier than they all suggest :) It really is. Nice tools are nice, but none are essential.
Basically you offer the new door to the frame, and see where it needs trimming down to fit in the frame. You're looking for a gap of 3-6mm all round, sides, top, bottom.
Trim door with saw (any, but circular is easiest) then plane (again, electric is easy and fast)
Now you can chisel little bits out where the hinges go - just look at the old door - or you can just not do this, it isnt necessary. But if you dont, allow for 6-7mm gap.
Lift the door up to where it will end up, using wedges, screwrivers, anything, and mark carefully where the hinges go.
Screw hunges to door Screw hinges to frame
Eureka.
The one ESSENTIAL in this whole process is that you meansure and cut EXACTLY. You dont have 5mm error to spare. So check, be accurate, but other than that its easy nuff.
Tools: a chisel will be needed for fitting the latch, lock etc. Your manky old ones are perfect, just get a round grind stone and put it in the drill, and get the end as straight and clean as poss. Dont throw old chisels away!
Regards, NT
snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote in message

Bloody hell!
He's used more tools than me in his advice. The only thing I would suggest is you use your manky chisels for wedges. Then when the door is hung, throw them in the bin. Or give them to a painter.
Chisels are excellent quality and dirt cheap at market stalls these days. Get a wide one, a narrow one and a middle sized one. Get a double sided stone and hone their faces to remove the milling machine marks off. Then put edges on them.
You need a tape, hammer and a pencil too. If you are going to plane the door get the jack I said to or again a cheap iron one from a market stall. If you buy new, the same business applies with the face of the blade.
That's the minimum tools. The long post I originally pasted was for general consumption and not intended to put anyone off. Using any old level is worse than none in some cases -if you don't know for a fact how accurate it is.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Michael McNeil) wrote in message

couldn't see where.

Why do you recommend throwing chisels away and buying again?

why not do that to the existing chisels?

If the door fit is close, but it often isn't. It takes a real long time to plane 5" off a door.

Age has nothing to do with it. Old or new makes no difference with levels.
Second you can check a level by putting it on something horizontal, then putting it in the same place the other way round. You should get the same indication: if it gives 2 different readings its misaligned.
I guess you're just one of these strange folks who likes to throw his tools away and buy again. I'm one of the ones that says 'thank you very much' and can't figure out why anyone would throw their perfectly good tool kit out.
Regards, NT