Irish plumbing

may have seen this before - and of course it's not restricted to the Irish, I've seen stuff like this in the UK often enough.

Reply to
Guy King

I've dealt with Irish (Northern) plumbers and have _never_ met such a cack-handed bunch of bodge merchants in my life. Except perhaps my sister-in-law's plasterers, who managed to burn the cavity wall insulation out - by lighting a fire to keep warm, before the fireplace hearth was installed or the flue properly lined. We got off lightly, with merely the toilet cistern overflow that disappeared into an internal wall, the bath that had to be bailed through the window to empty it (and was self-filling in heavy rain) and of course the infamous Night of the Zombie Septic Tank.

IMHE, it's down to the blatant nepotism that's rife in NI. "Ach, wee Jimmy will see you right" usually means "My idiot nephew Jimmy needs the work, as he's an inbred halfwit with vestigial gills. However we all drink at the same rugby club, and it's not either of us who has to live there afterwards".

Oh, and they're not a patch on landfill contractors who turned our garden into an asbestos waste tip. Still, there was a drink in it for the right people, so that's alright then.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The "Cistern overflow pipe and vent over flue" also shows the flue being unacceptably close to an air vent.

Overall interesting, but sad that the text is as shoddy in places as the work it illustrates.

Reply to
John Stumbles

The page

states:-

"PTFE joint tape in the thread of compression fittings is a common sign of uninformed DIY."

Where exactly is one supposed to put PTFE tape if not on the thread of compression fittings?

Reply to
Chris Cowley

Well, certainly not on the thread of compression fittings. A compression joint works with a seal between the fitting and olive and between the olive and the pipe. These are metal to metal joints. Some people wrap the olive in PTFE, but this is unnecessary and could even cause leakages in the future if the PTFE degrades and there is no actual metal to metal seal.

The thread on a compression joint is not part of the water seal and should not have PTFE applied. The sign of a professionally done compression joint is the use of no PTFE at all.

PTFE is used on BSP fittings usually with a jointing compound. Examples are radiator tails and outside taps, where the thread IS part of the water seal.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from Chris Cowley contains these words:

Well, I've never used it on compresion fittings - I've always used it on taper-threaded iron fittings.

Reply to
Guy King

Its real purpose is when you have to make a joint that requires a seal to be made on the threaded part of a connection.

A compression fitting makes a seal between the pipe and casing by use of the olive - the threaded part itself does not even come into contact with the water.

(In spite of it not being required, I personally still like a couple of turns on the thread of compression fittings since it lubricates the joint a little making it easier to do up tight, and disassemble later if required).

Reply to
John Rumm

Personally, I prefer to avoid it. If there is something sealing the thread, it may obscure the fact that the olive seal has failed.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That is the place, on taper threads. A light smear of paste is all that is required on a compression joint. The only place to wrap PTFE around an olive is when using compression on plastic pipe, as that is what the makers say.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I have nothing like that all in one place. How about in Poland?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

I don't even do that - just a smear of copper grease to stop it getting stuck later.

Reply to
Guy King

You mean without, Shirley?

PTFE tape OR jointing compound (e.g. Boss White) poss. with hemp.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Nah, with. I smother the PTFE in Fernox LS-X. Works every time. Never once a leak, even on parallel BSP.

I see PTFE as the hemp replacement and LS-X as the Boss White replacement.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Things such as radiator tails. Taper threads. Gland packing, possibly. Not in compression fittings.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not me. I only ever use the pipe and the compression joint. Nothing else at all. No tape, no gunk.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

P.S. No news yet.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

[snip]

Oh right. I never knew - I've always used PTFE on compression threads as lots of sources seem to say it should be used (e.g. various DIY books,

guess I can save myself a few pennies by stopping using it, then!

Cheers,

Reply to
Chris Cowley

  1. It ensures the thread doesn't seize and the joint can be tightened/dismantled easily at a later date.
  2. It seals the thread. This can prevent a leak should any water find it's way between the outside of the olive and the main body of the joint. I agree that in theory a compression joint should be perfectly machined but in a lot of cases they aren't.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

..in Theory. Of the olive seat/olive is less than perfect then water can seep past.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

I'd rather know about it and discard the fitting (I've not come across one yet).

If you seal the threads, then you won't know you've got a dud. At least not until a few weeks/years later.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle