Insurance Claim - Best Way to Proceed

Hi all

Not strictly DIY granted but there is an element (bit long) .....

Noticed recently that the carpet had lifted in the corner of a room. On lifting carpet found that damp had "blown" a filled area of the concrete floor around a gas pipe and that there was water evident on the underside of the underlay. Insurance appointed contractor came in to expose CH and hot/cold water pipes in the area but no leak has been found. A second contractor is to visit shortly with leak detection equipment (how does that work then?).

My question really is how best to proceed with disclosure of information. When we moved in to the place 6 years ago there was a significant leak in the affected area. This we repaired (that's the DIY bit by the way), but it may be that this leak had completely flooded the sub-base of the house with water being retained inside the dpm. There has been evidence of further damp around the ground floor.

The key question is: If I volunteer the information about the leak, can/will the insurance company withdraw all support/services on the grounds that the damage was done before their policy was put in place? Equally I could "suggest" that the damp may be due to ingress during 2007 flooding, but I don't really want that label on the property from a future-sales point of view. I will obviously not mention previous leaks until after the investigation, as there may be another source of which I am currently unaware.

If the sub-base of the house is still saturated, how is this water removed from below the concrete slab?

Any pointers or past experience appreciated

TheScullster

not sure what others think, but having had to live on benefits for a while (genuine illness and disability), you soon learn to never, ever, ever volunteer information, wait for them to ask and answer truthfully, but if they dont ask they dont need to know.

Reply to
gazz

"gazz" wrote

Thanks gazz I know where you are coming from of course, but it does go against the grain somewhat not to do everything to sort the situation as proficiently as possible IYSWIM. Definitely keeping stum for now at least.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Say nothing. If the previous repair is discovered deny any knowledge of it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The job of diagnosing and repairing the fault is theirs, not yours. I also doubt minor events like these are worth a claim, in most cases you'll pay it all back on your premiums and more.

Concrete doesnt mind being forever wet, as long as it doesnt freeze.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

wrote

The problem isn't so much the concrete or sub-base being wet, it's the fact that the damp keeps on appearing. Rising up walls and appearing at internal thresholds and rotting carpets, skirtings etc.

Had the job turned out to be a straight forward pipe leak I agree it would probably have paid to fix it myself. But once you get into tracing difficult leak sources, then costs do start to rise. ISTR getting a price on drain inspection works which was well over £100 in the early 90s.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

"Man at B&Q" wrote

Say nothing. If the previous repair is discovered deny any knowledge of it.

The original repair has already been uncovered and is sound. No comment was made.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster