Inconvenient boiler vent

Our boiler vents at an inconvenient position. I spotted snorkel like plastic pipe attached to one in town yesterday but cant find any links to such a devise, perhaps I am using the wrong search description?

Does anyone know of the practicality/legality of extending a condensing boiler vent up and away from where it is venting?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Find and download the manufacturer's installation instructions which should describe the types of flue kit available for that boiler.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've noticed these as well, sometimes extending the outlet many metres. i found it surprising that you can extend the central (outlet) pipe without also extending the outer (inlet) annulus. Surely the point of a balanced flue is that the two paths reach the atmosphere at the same place.

maybe these days the fans are so good they don't mind a pressure differnce at inlet/outlet/

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Some boilers are suitable, some are not! Ask the manufacturer of your particular make and model.

Reply to
cynic

Plume management kits. They absolutely have to be the kit made for your boiler and installed as per the manufacturer's instructions. In general they can go up either directly, vertically, or at a bit of a slope (along the wall) in order to deliver the plume of flue gas containing water mist to where it won't cause a nuisance. You may be able to find information on your boiler mfr's website (depending how useless they are).

Reply to
YAPH

These kits are a lot more widely available for current models than they were when condensing boilers first started coming in. We had an early Vaillant model, whose flue exited opposite a detached garage, and the plume went all over the soffits. In my ignorance devised a small attachment to the flue in the shape of a simple flat aluminium plate, angled at 45 degrees, about 6" in front of the flue outlet, so the plume struck the plate and was diverted skywards.

The first time a CORGI saw it he threw a tantrum and insisted it came off - personally I still think he was being a bit of a jobsworth about it, as I can't see what possible influence it can have had over the safety of the flue - but I merely mention it to reinforce YAPH's observations that you can't simply attach any old pipe to the end of the flue to make it go where you want.

My current boiler (fitted in the same location a couple of years ago) is a Worcester-Bosch, and there was an extensive range of configurations of flue extensions/diverters available. The plume is now directed away beautifully from the house/garage/paintwork!

David

Reply to
Lobster

You mean it now aims at your neighbours house?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

;) Nah... the configuration down the street goes: neighbour A's house -> my house -> walkway -> my detached garage -> neighbour B's house. The flue is in the walkway and now points outwards onto the drive, in the direction of the road; whereas before it pointed towards the garage. If that makes sense...!

David

Reply to
Lobster

They aren't balanced flues - they are fanned flues.

Yes, depends on manufacturer's instructions. For my Keston, the total length of inlet + outlet flue pipe can be up to 40 metres. The only restriction it imposes is that they musn't be on opposite sides of a building. If you plan on using a long flue pipe, might want to go for a boiler which uses regular plastic pipe rather than custom flue pieces, as those can quickly cost more than the rest of the boiler.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not that 50mm mUPVC is exactly cheap either :-(

Reply to
YAPH