Identify a bolt thread

Can anyone help me identify a bolt thread?
On my imperial steam driven micrometer, the diameter measures 0.392" (so it's 10mm) and the pitch is 1mm. So muggings here assumes it's a standard 10mm bolt thread, but having bought one it is much coarser.
What is it, and where can I get a bolt with this thread?
--
Nigel Mercier

Please remove NOSPAM from my return address
Nigel Mercier wrote:

nightjar wrote:

In uk.d-i-y, Bob Minchin wrote:

Sorry, the pitch of the *bolt thread* is 1mm, rotate it 10 times and it moves 10mm.

Don't understand "threaded on". I've been using it to measure bolts, screws, tubes, pipes, for about 20 years=; seems OK.

As a guess I would say that the thread was about 60 deg, but I can't easily measure that.
--
Nigel Mercier

Please remove NOSPAM from my return address

It is M10 x 1.0mm - a non-preferred BS size. You can get the bolts from most good industrial fastener suppliers, but you are likely to run into minimum order quantities or charges if you only want one.
Colin Bignell

The std 10mm pitch is 1.50mm which you'd know if you looked up a bolt pitch chart on Google or had a Zeus book. 1mm is a fine thread pitch used for special bolts such as big end bolts and flywheel bolts in engines. But as you don't say what this bolt is off.....
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk) "How's life Norm?" "Not for the squeamish, Coach" (Cheers, 1982)
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 13:03:23 +0100, Nigel Mercier

10mm fine. Most of the larger metrics are fairly common in both a standard and a fine pitch. 1.25 is the usual alternative to the 1.5 coarse pitch, but 1.0 is a standard too.
If the diameter really is 10mm, then it's probably metric - there's no obvious imperial size close to that.
Is the bolt head marked ?

There is Metric Coarse and Metric fine
You need to give the tpi and the root diameter to identify it correctly.
Rick
In uk.d-i-y, Rick Hughes wrote:

I thought I had given this info, but in metric.
Is the "root diameter" the diameter of the plain section of the bolt? If so, it's about 3 thou more than the threaded section, so still 10mm.
If "tpi" is turns per inch, then I guess it will be 25.4, as it is 10 turns per centimeter.
--
Nigel Mercier

Please remove NOSPAM from my return address

Hi Nigel, if you go to a local factors and talk nicely to the storeman he may just oblige and find a nut that'll run down the thread thus identifying it and providing a new bolt at the same time. Richard.
Phil Addison wrote:

Oh FFS

Try http://www.namrick.co.uk
"John Schmitt" wrote in message

No such omission. M9 exists, and so does M7. I've got taps & dies to prove it :-). They're not commonly used sizes (any more than 7 & 9 BA are) but they certainly exist.
--
Andy

OT
Reminds me of the forger that mistakenly made 9 notes. He puzzled for a while and then decided to take them to somewhere in deepest Ireland and see if he could get them changed (pre Euro joke!)
When he got there and handed them to the cashier asking for them to be changed the question came back
"No problem sir. Would you like them in 7's and 2's or 6's and 3's?"
--
Woody

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com
harrogate wrote in message

The oldest ones are still the best, eh?
--
Andy

Duh. My memory is at fault. I knew it was ISO or DIN which skipped 9mm and indeed quite a lot of integer sizes above that and thought it was ISO. Can I claim that the hot weather caused me to mistype DIN in an egregious manner?
John Schmitt
-- If you have nothing to say, or rather, something extremely stupid and obvious, say it, but in a 'plonking' tone of voice - i.e. roundly, but hollowly and dogmatically. - Stephen Potter

You can claim whatever you like. Whether you are believed is a matter for the jury...
However, IMHO, the value of having a knowledgeable resident group chemist far outweighs such minor transgressions, so yes you can be let off (just this once, mind).
--
Andy