HP LJ5

My LJ5 is leaving black marks down the long edges of pages - they look like a bar chart printed along either edge. Is there any solution to this other than a new toner cartridge?

Reply to
Huge

The transfer roller might be contaminated (although that could be a leaky cartridge!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'd try an internal strip and clean, inspecting the ends of the transfer drum and fuser rollers for signs of wear damage. Is there a repeat in the pattern down the sides at a few inches or is it "random". A repeat would indicate damage to a roller, random just general muck.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

think that's part of a new cartridge

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

no, it's not.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Looks like it repeats every 37mm. Must a roller. Time to bite the bullet and take the damn thing to pieces.

Reply to
Huge

38mm means it's the charger roller in the toner cartridge...
Reply to
Bob Eager

..which comes with a new cartdridge...?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like the 'waste toner' reservoir is full, or the toner is collecting at the edges - which is logical if you think about it because the ink you use tends to be in the main part of the page so most of the unused stuff goes in the margins.

If this was a first use cartridge you may be able to shake it from side to side to redistribute the waste toner more evenly in its reservoir. If this was a refilled cartridge, then the waste compartment may be full to bursting and you will have to work out how it comes apart to empty the waste reservoir. (The 'waste' is still useable, but you may have to filter it to remove dust and hair if you want to pour it back into the 'unused' side.)

Spamlet

indeed it does. but the transfer roller (my original thought) doesn't.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah. anyway my 5 and 6 printers always fixed themselves with a new cartridge.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well at least you know where to start looking. I'd certainly give it a go little bit of time exploring the innerds of a bit of kit is always interesting. From other comments in here the LJ5 is a decent and easy machine to work on.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wondered if someone would recognise the number (that's why I posted it). I'm deeply impressed.

Reply to
Huge

I just knew where to look it up, on the shelf beside me. I own eight or nine LJ4M+ machines...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Probably not.

However most HP printer service manuals are out on t'intaweb as free PDFs. They're detailed enough to cover this level of fault-fixing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'm *still* impressed.

Reply to