How to safely access windows above a lean-to extension?

My window frames and external sills are falling apart. They are in a vertical wall above a lean-to extension, so I cannot figure out a way of making a safe and stable platform to stand on, so I can get up there and do some work.

I guess this is a common situation for roofers and glaziers. So... what is a good method?

A bad idea:

  1. The window cleaners put their ladders at a very shallow angle, with one end on the outside sill and the other end on the ground, and climb up. Possibly OK for a quick and easy job, but probably not safe for difficult work.

Thanks, David P.

Reply to
myheadisonbackwards

================================== Buy a cheap access tower, some lengths of scaffolding tube and some scaffolding clips. Use the scaffolding tube and clips (attached to the tower) to create a cantilevered base for a platform of wooden planks.

Make sure that the horizontal members of the cantilevered section are long enough to reach the house wall to prevent the tower leaning inwards.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Get a price from a scaffolding firm before you do anything else. Then, you will be able to compare this cost against the cost of lying in a hospital for three or six months while your poor, broken body heals after they drag you from the shattered remains of whichever lash- up you tried to use.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

David,

Dependent on the width of the lean-to and access either side of it - you could try a modular scaffold system (hire) with Youngman planks. Or preferably, ring the local scaffold company to supply and erect some scaffold - you may be pleasantly surprised at the cost!

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

================================== You could ignore the scare-mongers and use a tried and tested method (tower with cantilevered platform) such as I suggested and which I've used for years for safe access over porches and lean-to roofs.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Thanks for your ideas, everyone.

I was intrigued by Cicero's cantilever idea, but I don't think I have the balls to do it myself.

For some reason, I was too thick to think of calling a scaffold company, but that seems like the best idea - thanks to Brian G.

Regards, David P (the OP)

Reply to
myheadisonbackwards