How to measure / photograph Lintel for Buidling Control

Following on from my post "Opening a wall and installing a lintel" I've decided to offer my builder one more chance of turning up!!

Anyway I phoned building control to enquire if they needed to inspect the work in progress. They told me photographs would be okay as long as I included some sort of measure in the pictures to show how far the lintel was in!!

Anyone know what I should be photographing? Apart from the lintel obviously!!

cheers Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Barrie

Bloke holding a measuring tape next to it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If the wall is standard bricks or blocks and hasn't been plastered yet then a photo (ideally taken square on) showing the insert depth and a few blocks should be fine. You could quote the block height and width just for clarity.

Reply to
newshound

Sounds like BC would like a tape measure in the picture showing the distance the lintel is in.

Do you get a discount on the BC fee if a BC officer doesn't actually make a site visit?

Dave Liquorice

Thanks. Its a cavity wall so I take it a picture of the inner lintel won't be required.

Reply to
Stuart Barrie

That's a good point ;o) Although in their defence we told them it might be getting done over the weekend!

Reply to
Stuart Barrie

That's a new one on me! Is this common practice nowadays?

David

Reply to
Lobster

================================== If you're using standard 4" x 3" (70mm x 100mm) lintels they probably want a view of the size of the 'bearings' - i.e. the length of the lintel which sits on the supporting brickwork at each end, which should be a minimum of 150mm / 6" each end.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Surely the bricks would show that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Blimey !,

5 minutes in photoshop and you could get anything passed !!
Reply to
Franko