How to fix strimmer spool holder onto shaft?

I have a Bosch electric strimmer. The 'spool holder' (i.e. the round plastic contrivance that the spool clips onto) has taken to slipping off the splined metal motor shaft.

As designed it's just a push fit on the shaft and, presumably, many years use means that it has become a bit looser and now it isn't quite tight enough to stay on.

So, how can I fix it? There is no requirement at all for it to be removable so some sort of glue would seem to be the way to go but what would be most suitable? I assume it's a polypropylene (or similar) plastic moulding and the shaft is steel. I *could* put something in to wedge it tighter I guess but that seems more of a bodge than sticking it and there's a much greater risk of it not being dead straight.

Reply to
tinnews

I'd try an impact adhesive.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

... but presumably not using its 'impact adhesive' properties because I've got to be able to slide the spool holder onto the spline.

The other issue with using that sort of adhesive is that it'll probably take a very long time to harden/stick because there is virtually no access for air to the joint once the spool holder is pressed onto the spline.

Reply to
tinnews

I would put the glue on one surface, marry them up, rotate, separate, and push them back together when touch dry. There's always the risk that the adhesive will create too tight a fit, but a hammer and a block of wood should sort that out.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That's a possible approach I suppose. The 'rotate' bit won't be possible with the spool right on the shaft, remember this is a splined shaft, but I guess you're suggesting just turning it while it's not tight on the spline to get the glue spread around a bit. I don't fancy hitting it very hard either, that will be banging on the motor bearings though I suppose they must be fairly robust as it's the type of strimmer where you bang on the middle of the spool to get more line out.

Reply to
tinnews

Why not just buy a new plastic component?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I had a similar problem with a B&D one. The fitting seemed to be a morse taper fit without splines. It never stayed on for long. In the end I drilled right through the ali spool mount and the motor shaft on a pillar drill and stuck a small bolt through it. Not fallen off since!

Reply to
John Rumm

Because you can't! Many other parts are available but the actual spool holder part that pushes onto the shaft isn't available.

Reply to
tinnews

Not seriously possible, the motor shaft is recessed into the casing, you wouldn't be able to drill through.

Reply to
tinnews

In that case, thoroughly roughen motor spindle and a resin adhesive with particles.

Reply to
Andy Hall

JB Weld two part epoxy sounds like a good bet then

Reply to
John Rumm