How not to use a Ladder;!....

I'm with you there. Ladders scare the s**te out of me, so I'm 100% over cautious. Stabiliser bracket & a Laddermat

or I don't go up the ladder.

Most dangerous piece of kit carried on my van is the ladder.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Pffft. You're going to be drummed out of the League of White Van Men.

The most dangerous piece of kit carried on my van is the nut behind the steering wheel.

Reply to
dom

:-)

I seldom release the awesome power of my 1400cc diesel engine.....

I've bought a copy of the Wickes White Van Man Joke Book, so there!

Bloody rubbish TBH.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My Citroen Xsara 1590cc (I think), conventionally aspirated diesel (there is a turbo version at higher cost, the dealer didn't recommend it) I am fairly sure would piss all over any of the "Sports Cars" I used to long languish over when I was a student in 1965 such as the Triumph TR4 or the MGB.

The MGB had the "Morris Oxford" engine FFS.

I wasn't a "Standard-Triumph" person so I'm not sure about the TR4 engine. Perhaps it was a derivative of the Standard "Vanguard" 68HP Engine.

That's a name to conjure with.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

That may be ok with an isolated supply, but a colleague (in a similar type of system made long ago by a firm in Chelmsford) dropped a spanner across some

240volt DC busbars. The spanner exploded causing severe burns. The busbars were powered by a lead acid battery in the region of 1000AH.

Switch off, ISOLATE, earth is the sequence that /should/ be followed.

Reply to
<me9

The turbo makes quite a difference to the performance - though if you use it the economy will drop. The N/A one gets there - but acceleration is 'relaxed'.

MGB - 1.8L petrol, 94hp, 0-60 11-ish secs. Xsara - 71 hp, 0-60 14.2 secs or

15.3s if it's the later model. So rather the opposite of "piss over".

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

The planks are at right angles to the wall, while the ladders are side by side and leaning against it. It is more likely a work table in the foreground that obscures the bases of the ladders, although that would mean that they are standing on sloping loose soil.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The step ladder in fourth from last is safe enough, if not for the faint of heart. However, in the next picture, we see the workman using it without maintaining three points of contact required by UK regulations.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Coo. ... and here was me thinking that someone was going to say that it's his cigarette lighter...

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not even any gags that you could use for the Other Career?

You'd think that if they were going to run a marketing campaign to attract White Van Men that they would do a better job, wouldn't you?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yeah I got conned into buying that - "it's for chariteee" and left it by the loo to read: I don't think it's ever raised even a glimmer of a smile. Combination of Beano-type Q&Q jokes and really poor 1960s stand-up stuff.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In article , nightjar scribeth thus

Glad you think so Colin, wouldn't get me up there without some serious fall arrest equipment!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net scribeth thus

Yes thats also what he said!, this was the dump/earth sequence;-)...

Reply to
tony sayer

IIRC, this was the SIDE rule (switch off, isolate, dump, earth), invented in the days when engineers used slide rules, had pens in their top pockets, those expanding metal bands to hold up their sleeves, Brylcreem in their hair and NHS glasses with the thick black frames.

The 'D' bit was in case there was a big C (or not such a big C at HV).

When I worked at Racal in the 70s, there were big posters of this up everywhere around Bracknell operation, although even then people in the transmitter groups seemed to cut corners. That was until one day when somebody cut one too many corners while working on a transmitter of some size, although probably not quite as big as broadcast. At any rate, he was taken out on a stretcher. Fully covered.

Fortunately, I never worked on anything with power >100W at HF and generally it was in the mW, if that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Pah. Wuss. I used to keep my feet warm on the 1kW top-band linear at GB3UKC. It used to blow up power supply capacitors regularly.

(Yes, I know running a kW on top-band isn't allowed...)

Reply to
Huge

Yes well I was designing frequency synthesisers in the days when discrete logic families had to be used and in most designs four different ones had to be used - ECL, Schottky TTL, LP Schottky TTL and CMOS - and the whole thing had to run with minimal power, be portable and squaddy proof. Awkwardly, much of the CMOS was single source Motorola and because of some of the geographical destinations for the equipment, one of the manufacturing procedures was to sand off the batwing logo.

Big electricity was the least of my worries.

Reply to
Andy Hall

so when i come to try to sort out a broken ring main i should switch off the fusebox, pull out the 4 wires in and out of the ring circuit, then connect them to an earth wire?

or touch them together with insulated pliers to check just in case one is live?

or connect to a 12volt battery and try to find the faults with low voltage meters?

[george]
Reply to
dicegeorge

Go away and don't come back until you've made a sensible comparison including the weights of the vehicles concerned.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

Ladder couldn't do any harm without a Handyman up it. ;-)

Reply to
Si

I did publish a compilation of magician jokes a few years ago, must be on disc somewhere.

Best joke in the book IMO;

Bhudda walks into a kebabr shop & says "make me one with everything".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman