How much space does a shower need?

It's a rather basic question but I can't find straightforward answers anywhere.

We're [re]designing an area in our house and want to install a new shower (among other things). In order to plan the layout we need to know how much space a shower needs. It might be a dedicated shower room or, if it fits, we might squeeze it into the existing downstairs loo.

So any advice, pointers, etc. as to minimum and/or sensible sizes for a shower would be very welcome.

Reply to
tinnews

Our current shower tray is 750mm * 750mm. Elbow room is a little less as the shower screen is inboard of the edge. I wouldn't like to go any smaller than that unless the whole family is built on budget lines. I am 6 foot tall and can manage in this, but I haven't tried to bend over in the shower (not that I could anyway). AFAIK this is a standard small shower cubicle. If you want to go for a full wet room then you have more flexibility as long as you can cover up the loo (And especially the toilet paper) when you are showering. For a small shower there are benefits in having the shower head over the middle of the area pointing down instead of taking up wall space.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I guess you squat to pick up the dropped soap or WHY. Washing lower legs is tricky without bending and or lifting it up.

Except then you can't get away from it to lather up or if it suddenly gets hot/cold. I find most shower on/off controls difficult to use with hands covered in lather.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thermostatic shower control? Although that wouldn't sort the cold watrer only problem.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

If you really want *minimum* dimensions, have a look at a few touring caravans!

Reply to
Roger Mills

The worst is in a local Starbucks coffee shop. The lavatory is tiny, and it's almost impossible to avoid setting off the hand drier as you stand there for a pee. You can just about shuffle round on the spot to wash your hands. It's a little bit easier to use the disabled one, or use a public loo nearby where there's loads of room.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In article , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

I'm doing similar and am planning for 1000x800 which is towards the opulent end without being ridiculously expensive due to rarity. I like a rectangular shape and the shower will be mounted on a narrow side, spraying along the length. At the other end of the scale, 750 square would be (is) annoyingly small for me. I'll use a stock base for simplicity rather than rolling my own with tiles and tanking.

If you're interested, I'll be using a standard bar shower mixer for easy replacement when it fails[1}.

[1] that's when, not if, or in case ;-)
Reply to
fred

The smallest normal trays are about 750 square. Personally I find these too cramped, 850mm ones are just about usable. However much depends on the size of the people using it! The standard enclosures are often about

1.85m tall, and these I find too short! (I am about 6'3").
Reply to
John Rumm

ISTR I found 600mmm square somewhere, but I could be wrong

Make yer own enclosures out of tiled stud wall and or toughened glass ..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher

that is getting silly. I would not know whether to get in that, or put it on!

I would have to stand diagonally...

Reply to
John Rumm

>Now that is getting silly. I would not know whether to get in that, or >put it on!

Take another look. It's designed for people with an optional leg.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Wet room - ours is 1500 x 1600 - could lose a little I suppose but there's never any problems with bending over, lifting a leg, or anything else which is a double entendre !

If you do go this way, I laid the base concrete such that the shower area of 800mm square was about 50mm below floor level and I used 150mm quarry tiles to tile the whole thing making sure that the whole floor drained into the shower basin.

Friends took the idea but the stupid builder didn't lay the floor properly and the room has to be swept each time one has a shower.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

My 700 x 1150 (internal dimensions) is a nice size. Room for two, if you can find someone similarly inclined....

Reply to
Newshound